[comp.windows.x] printing Xlib documentation

dac@f.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Daniel Christian) (11/08/88)

When I generated and printed (part of) the Xlib documentation,
everything was shifted left.  About 3 to 4 characters would be lost to
the printers margin.  The index worked fine.

This is not the way to print over 200 pages of documentation....

Has anyone else run into this?  I was running psroff on a Mach (BSD
4.3+) machine.  I had the same results on two different Postscript
printers.  Editing most of the pages out of the postscript file didn't
help (i.e. the printer isn't choaking on the size).

-Dan Christian
dac@ri.cmu.edu

earle@mahendo.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Greg Earle) (11/09/88)

In article <3508@pt.cs.cmu.edu> dac@f.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Daniel Christian) writes:
>When I generated and printed (part of) the Xlib documentation,
>everything was shifted left.  About 3 to 4 characters would be lost to
>the printers margin.  The index worked fine.
>
>This is not the way to print over 200 pages of documentation....
>
>Has anyone else run into this?  I was running psroff on a Mach (BSD
>4.3+) machine.  I had the same results on two different Postscript
>printers.  Editing most of the pages out of the postscript file didn't
>help (i.e. the printer isn't choaking on the size).

Well, I haven't encountered it (yet), but as a temporary workaround (at least
if you have a Good Ol' LaserWriter), you might consider changing the actual
printer margins inside the printer to shift-right everything for the duration
of the print run (Use `setprintermargins' if you have TranScript), then set
it back to what it was before (presumably `0 0') afterwards.

Of course, if you don't have access to the printer port device, or have the
chance of having someone else's jobs interspersed with yours, this is much more
difficult ...

--
	Greg Earle		earle@Sun.COM
	Sun Microsystems	poseur!earle@mahendo.JPL.NASA.GOV