[comp.windows.x] MS-DOS X Window Servers

apollo@ecf.toronto.edu (Vince Pugliese) (11/08/88)

for all of those who may be interested in X Window
Servers for MS-DOS here is something I pulled off of
the  net moons ago. hope it is of some help. by the way
i have not checked these references myself so please no additional
mail traffic.

                     MS-DOS X WINDOW SERVERS

for MS-DOS, bae@ati.tis.llnl.gov  provided me with very helpful
information:

   Basically there are three different implementations I am aware of:

   1. Previously posted by Ben Faul of Locus Computing:

   "Locus Computing Corporation has built an X11 based PC Server.
   The software is currently operational and is in alpha test right
   now. Locus will show the server at the Unix Forum in Dallas,
   February 8th through 11th.

   The following specifications describe what the Locus PC Windows
   Server looks like:

        1.  Full implementation of the X Version 11.1 server as
            defined by MIT.

        2.  Runs on 8088, 8086, 80286, and 80386 PC's. Requires
            640k ram. Does NOT require EMS memory.

        3.  Runs under MS-DOS version 3.1 or higher.

        4.  Supports EGA and VGA graphics adaptors in sixteen
            color mode. Over 37 different adaptors are supported by
            the Locus PC Windows Server.

        5.  Compatible with Locus Computing Corporation's other
            products: PC-Interface (network file system) and
            MERGE/386 (Simultaneous UNIX/DOS operation on the
            same host).

        6.  Uses outboard TCP/IP via the EXCELAN EXOS 205T
            Ethernet adaptor.

        7.  Will soon support inboard TCP/IP for the 3COM 3C501,
            MICOM NI5010, MICOM NI5210, and Ungerman Bass
            Ethernet cards. Additionally, the Proteon ProNet4 and
            IBM Token Ring adaptors will be supported as well.

   Enquiries about the Locus PC Windows Server should be directed
   to Ben Faul at Locus Computing Corporation.

        Tel: 213-452-2435
        Fax: 213-450-1432

        Address: Locus Computing Corporation
                 3330 Ocean Park Boulevard
                 Santa Monica, CA 90405

      Email: bilbo.benf@cs.ucla.edu
            ucbvax!trwrb!lcc!bilbo.benf
   "

   2. Rick Kiessig of IDI posted:

      "Subject: X Windows for the IBM PC/XT/AT now available!
      Newsgroups: comp.windows.x

      We're happy to announce the availability of an X Windows
      V10R4 Server for the IBM PC/XT/AT under PC/DOS.  Now use
      your inexpensive PC as a graphics display, while running your
      applications on remote machines with more horsepower.  It
      requires an Excelan ethernet board, an optical 3-button PC
      Mouse and a Hercules Graphics card.  Other combinations of
      devices and color displays will be supported in the near
      future.  Prices:

         $99.95 1st copy of server
          89.95 2nd thru 10th copies
          79.95 11th and up copies
         $595 source code for one machine

      All software comes with a free first update, and is not copy
      protected (we like to think that our prices are low enough
      that it's not worth having to deal with pirated copies).
      OEM/VAR terms and source code are available -- call for
      details.

      We also have Excelan cards with transceivers for $1295, the
      Optical PC Mouse for $99.95, and Hercules Cards for $59.95.

      The software comes with an installation guide and implementa-
      tion notes (1 copy per order).  An X Programmer's Guide is
      available separately for $34.95 (man pages and Xlib document).

      We'd like to think our product is competitively priced and is a
      quality implementation.  We think you'll agree.

      For more information contact:

         PC-X Windows Sales Mgr.
         Intelligent Decisions, Inc.
         P.O. Box 50174
         Palo Alto, CA 94303

         408-996-2399

      Or simply send your check or purchase order to the above
      address (don't forget sales tax if the order is shipped to
      California).  M/C or VISA is also OK.

      We'll be releasing V11R1+ and versions for the 3Com Ethernet
      card, EGA, CGA and so on in the very near future.
      "

The third source mentioned by bae@ati.tis.llnl.gov was Cognition
Systems.  I have tried to contact Cognition via net-mail, but have
received no response.

bae@ati.tis.llnl.gov also mentioned that GraphOn, a graphics terminal
vendor, was reportedly working on a dedicated X Terminal.
GraphOn reported to me that they were doing some development on
such a terminal but that it was too early to talk about it.  GraphOn
is maintaining a mailing list of interested ntact: GraphOn,
408-371-8500.

At the Uniforum Conference, I made an informal poll of vendors:

   Bell Technologies of Fremont, California has MS-DOS X Window
   Server software.  At Uniforum, Bell was offering a **special**
   consisting of the software plus a 19-inch Moniterm Monitor, a PC
   AT high resolution graphics controller and some miscellaneous
   software for $995.  Contact  Dimitri Rotow, Bell Technologies,
   800-FOR-UNIX or 415-659-9097 (California).

   Espirit is a terminal vendor that currently has a diskless LAN
   connected (ARCNET) PC product called the LAN Terminal.  The
   company has seen considerable interest in MS-DOS X Server
   Terminals and is developing a product that will be a diskless PC
   with LAN interface and X software.  X Server software might be
   in ROM and price might be close to that of the LAN Terminal
   which is $1095.  Contact: Salvatore Lanuto, Espirit, 516-293-5600

   Intelligent Decisions confirmed that they were shipping an X v10
   based MS-DOS X Server software package and that they would in
   the future provide an X v11 version.

   Interfirm Graphics has developed and markets 386-based graphics
   hardware and software.  The company is working on a hardware/-
   software MS-DOS X Server Terminal which will be based on the
   386 and will include X Server software in ROM.  The price
   should be around $3500.  Contact: Morgan Stuart, Interfirm
   Graphic Systems, 408-279-3890.

   Locus MS-DOS X Window Server product is called PC-Xsight.
   The price is $395 and I believe the company is shipping the
   product now.

Jeffrey Stone
Menlo Park, California

martin@zeus.hf.intel.com (Martin Wilde) (11/11/88)

The recent posting of companies that produce or plan on producing
pc servers contains one company that does not exist!  I tried
calling the following company and got a "no such number".  I then
tried calling information with the new area code of 415 and they
had no listing for "Intelligent Decisions".  Could the original
poster or Rick Kiessig please follow this up?

>   2. Rick Kiessig of IDI posted:

>      "Subject: X Windows for the IBM PC/XT/AT now available!
>      Newsgroups: comp.windows.x

>         PC-X Windows Sales Mgr.