[comp.windows.x] HP widgets on R3?

klee@daisy.UUCP (Ken Lee) (11/09/88)

There's an article in the October 31 issue "UNIX Today" that says:

	In teaming up with Microsoft, HP has shelved further work
	on its own version of an X-Windows toolkit for application
	developers, called HP X Widgets.

Does anyone know if we will ever get an R3 version of the HP widgets?

Ken

--
uucp:  {ames!atari, ucbvax!sgi, pyramid, uunet}!daisy!klee
arpanet:  daisy!klee@sgi.com or daisy!klee@uunet.uu.net

I'm not a tourist, I was born in California.

alan@jane.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Alan S. Mazer) (11/10/88)

In article <1917@daisy.UUCP>, klee@daisy.UUCP (Ken Lee) writes:
> There's an article in the October 31 issue "UNIX Today" that says:
> 	In teaming up with Microsoft, HP has shelved further work
> 	on its own version of an X-Windows toolkit for application
                                           ^^^^^^^
> 	developers, called HP X Widgets.
                                ^^^^^^^
> Ken

Does this mean that HP is stopping development of their X-ray toolkit or of the
HP widget set based on Xt?  Or I am I misunderstanding something here?

> I'm not a tourist, I was born in California.

Me, too.  Where did all these other people come from?

-- Alan    ..!{ames,cit-vax}!elroy!alan         * "But, seriously, what can
           alan@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov                 go wrong?"

bobmi@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Bob Miller) (11/11/88)

>	In teaming up with Microsoft, HP has shelved further work
>	on its own version of an X-Windows toolkit for application
>	developers, called HP X Widgets.

The article is wrong.  We are definitely NOT abandoning the
X Widgets.  Part of the CXI user interface is the X Widget library.

> Does anyone know if we will ever get an R3 version of the HP widgets?

HP will produce an R3 product version of the X Widgets.  We are not
ready to publically commit to providing a public domain version
of that software, yet.  However, the odds are good that we will provide
such a public domain version.

Bob Miller
HP X Widgets Team

ed@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Ed Lee) (11/11/88)

Ken Lee (klee@daisy.UUCP) writes:

   > There's an article in the October 31 issue "UNIX Today" that says:
   >
   >	In teaming up with Microsoft, HP has shelved further work
   >	on its own version of an X-Windows toolkit for application
   >	developers, called HP X Widgets.
   >
   >Does anyone know if we will ever get an R3 version of the HP widgets?
   >
   >Ken

The work being done with Microsoft is BASED on the HP X Widgets.
The UNIX Today article is referring to the XrLib (or XRay) that
HP developed for X10.  We have ported XrLib to X11, but are
concentrating on the Xt Intrinsics and the HP X Widgets as our toolkit
platform for X11.

We will definitely be moving the HP X Widgets to R3 of the intrinsics
as they(intrinsics) stablize.  In our response to the OSF RFT, we
endorse the core component effort of the MIT X Consortium.  Bob Miller,
our project manager for toolkits, is the current chair of that group.

Our intention is to continue our commitment to donating key portions
of our software development to MIT and the X community.

--
Ed Lee
X Window System Program Coordinator

ed%hpcvlx@hplabs.hp.com