[comp.windows.x] X11.2 on the Sun386i

marcel@mlogic.UUCP (Marcel Samek) (11/09/88)

Has anyone out there in netland done the work (or know of someone
else who has) to run X11.2 on the Sun 386i. Any information would
be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Marcel

--
Marcel A. Samek                      | Media Logic Incorporated
				     | 2501 Colorado Blvd. Suite 350
ARPA: mlogic!marcel@unisys.sm.com    | Santa Monica, CA 90404
UUCP: ...sdcrdcf!mlogic!marcel       | (213) 453-7744

meo@stiatl.UUCP (Miles O'Neal) (11/09/88)

We have the server & some core stuff + a few clients,
as compiled & provided by Sun. We haven't been able
to get source, so we will just switch to x11r3 soon.
We have compiled most of the clients (except the andrews
& interviews stuff), and most of them work fine.
We also have twm.

If you are interested in getting any of this, let me know.

-MileS

exodus@cheers.uucp (Greg Onufer) (11/10/88)

From article <130@mlogic.UUCP>, by marcel@mlogic.UUCP (Marcel Samek):

> Has anyone out there in netland done the work (or know of someone
> else who has) to run X11.2 on the Sun 386i. Any information would
> be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>
> Marcel

I just did this at Focus Semiconductor....  all that was really
required was changing servers/include/servermd.h to not assume
that the sun386i uses the same byte/bit ordering as all of the
other suns:

	Change the
		#ifdef sun
		#endif sun
		#ifdef sun
		#ifdef sun386
			...same #defines as vax go here...
		#else
			...original #defines for sun go here
		#endif
		#endif

And a change is required to the font compiler in the fonts directory.
Find the similar statements in the compiler header file and change
them in a most similiar manner.

After getting all that worked out, it works great!!

Hope this helped,

-greg

--
Greg Onufer .. University of the Pacific .. Focus Semiconductor
.. exodus@cheers.uucp .. sun!daver!cheers!exodus .. 415-965-0604

pfh@pai.UUCP (Peter Hill) (11/11/88)

X11R2 came right up on our Sun 386i-RR150-8X-FC (color, 8meg) under SunOS4.0.
All I changed was the destination directories, i.e. /usr/lib became
/usr/local/lib.  Now I think that was a mistake; for X11R3 I left them
alone, and made soft links from /usr/lib/X11 to /usr/local/lib/X11, and so on.

[By the way:  I didn't RTFM for SunOS 4.0 and was surprised that I couldn't
create my soft links in the /usr filesystem; it's mounted read-only.  It
turns out that "mount -o remount,rw /usr" will give you read-write access.
Just in case others out there don't RTFM, too.]

I recommend X11R3 over X11R2.  I think it's simpler to install (or the
documentation is better, or both).  I also had strange R2 client problems
with my Sun 3/160M (SunOS 3.2) that I never could track down.  For R3, I
created a "shadow" directory for each architecture (util/scripts/lndir.sh);
made a new util/imake.includes/Sun.macros in each; compiled; and installed.
The lintless R3 install is much faster (thanks, guys).

There were a couple glitches during the R3 install.  (One:  you still need
write access to /usr/lib *as well as* /usr/lib/X11 for the install,
contradicting the README file.  Two:  if you generate X11 in an NFS-mounted
filesystem, *and* you try to install on the local machine as root, "ranlib"
will fail; its temp file goes in the current working directory, and root
can't write in an NFS-mounted filesystem.]

R2 and R3 performance seem to be about the same on the color Roadrunner.
But then, Suntools 4.0 isn't all that great, either....

I like R3; thanks to all those in the X consortium.

Peter Hill                          pfh@pai.mn.org             +1 612 894 0313
Prime Automation, Inc.              ...{sun!tundra,umn-cs!hall,bungia}!pai!pfh

In article <270@pai.UUCP>, pfh@pai.UUCP (Peter Hill) writes:
> Blah, blah, blah....

A couple notes to clarify my previous posting about X11R2 and R3 on Suns:

For R2, I was talking about the core sources, with patches 1-33 applied.
R2 will not work on the 386i without at least one of these patches (I
forget which one).  For R3, I was talking about the core sources, with
no patches applied.

The sources were fetched from expo.lcs.mit.edu.  I didn't apply R3 patches
because most of the Internet was down on November 3, when I tried to get
patch 1.  Fortunately I had fetched the core sources just before Mr. Morris
wormed his way into our collective consciousness....