[comp.windows.x] Newer versions of twm?

dan@s3tang.ARPA (Dan Peterka) (11/12/88)

The verion of twm distributed with X11r3 is 1.2. I have read somewhere that
twm is now up to version 4.0 or something like that. Where can I get the
latest release and does anyone know if any problems exist with running under
release 3?
------
Dan Peterka                S-Cubed
dan@scubed.com             PO Box 1620
(619) 587-8444             La Jolla, CA 92038

davep@ginsu.apple.COM (11/12/88)

In article <879@scubed.UUCP>, Dan Peterka writes:
> The verion of twm distributed with X11r3 is 1.2. I have read somewhere that
> twm is now up to version 4.0 or something like that. Where can I get the
> latest release and does anyone know if any problems exist with running under
> release 3?

The version distributed on the R3 tape *is* version 5.0, with a couple of
minor modifications apparently made by Jim Fulton (nullpointer fixes, etc.).
The version number displayed by twm is generated from the RCS version
number appearing in version.c;  that file was probably checked in as version
1.1 (the default), then updated for Jim's changes.  There is a -k option to
ci that would have searched the file for an existing version number, and
checked the file in with that number.  I'm sure this number conflict is
bound to cause *lots* of confusion (maybe a patch, Jim?).

The keyboard grabbing problems that have been in the news lately affect
both 4.0 and 5.0;  my posted patch works on both.  I've been doing a
fair amount of other cleanups, and will send to Tom LaStrange when finished.

Version 5.0 has some neat new features in it.  The ones I like best are
an "icon manager" window, which is a window containing the names of
all iconify-able clients (what shows up can be tailored in .twmrc),
and vertical-zoom and full-screen-zoom features for windows.  I like
to put my icon manager window in the upper right corner of the window
and have it autoraise -- no more "lost" icons.  Nice work, Tom!!!
--
Dave Payne		Apple Computer, A/UX Engineering Group
davep@apple.com		Cupertino, CA

jim@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Jim Fulton) (11/15/88)

The version of twm on the R3 tape is 5.0 with one fix from Tom and change
in the name of one of default fonts.  The version string got nuked because it
was using the generic RCS keywords.  One thing we've learned here is that
if you are going to distribute software with RCS keywords, make sure you
add your own.  This is why we changed "$Header$" to "$XConsortium$".

							Jim