[comp.windows.x] Anyone have a reading list for an X11 novice?

ehrlich@shire.cs.psu.edu (Dan Ehrlich) (11/09/88)

We are in the process of installing a lab of IBM RT/PCs which will all
be running X11.  I have very little experience with X11 and was hoping
to find someone with a reading list.  Can anyone provide me with a
list of documentation, books, etcetra, that an X11 novice should be
reading. I have printed out the Xlib and XToolKit C-Library Interface
documentation, but they assume you already know what they are talking
about.  I am looking for introductory material with plenty of
examples.  So far I am aware of the two volume set from O'Reilly and
Associates, and a forthcoming book from Prentice Hall.  I will
summarize back to the list any information I get.  Thanks in advance.

Dan Ehrlich <ehrlich@shire.cs.psu.edu> | Disclaimer: The opinions expressed are
The Pennsylvania State University      | my own, and should not be attributed
Department of Computer Science         | to anyone else, living or dead.
University Park, PA   16802            |

klee@daisy.UUCP (Ken Lee) (11/10/88)

In article <4104@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu> (Dan Ehrlich) writes:
>  Can anyone provide me with a
>list of documentation, books, etcetra, that an X11 novice should be
>reading. I have printed out the Xlib and XToolKit C-Library Interface
>documentation, but they assume you already know what they are talking
>about.

A few years ago, Springer-Verlag published a book called "The
Methodology of Window Management".  It was the proceedings of a workshop
the discussed most of the important issues for window systems.  This
book, the Xlib and Athena Widgets manuals, and the example and client
X source code, should be all that beginner X programmers should need.

For X users, rather than programmers, get the man pages for your
favorite window manager, terminal emulator, and applications.

Ken Lee
Daisy Systems Corp., Interactive Graphics Tools Dept.
--
uucp:  {ames!atari, ucbvax!sgi, pyramid, uunet}!daisy!klee
arpanet:  daisy!klee@sgi.com or daisy!klee@uunet.uu.net

I'm not a tourist, I was born in California.

alan@jane.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Alan S. Mazer) (11/10/88)

In article <4104@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu>, ehrlich@shire.cs.psu.edu (Dan Ehrlich) writes:
> Can anyone provide me with a
> list of documentation, books, etcetra, that an X11 novice should be
> reading. I have printed out the Xlib and XToolKit C-Library Interface
> documentation, but they assume you already know what they are talking
> about.  I am looking for introductory material with plenty of
> examples.  So far I am aware of the two volume set from O'Reilly and
> Associates, and a forthcoming book from Prentice Hall.  I will
> summarize back to the list any information I get.  Thanks in advance.

I was in this position not too long ago.  My suggested approach is to read the
following in order:

	The Rosenthal paper (so that you basically have an idea of what's
			    happening)
	The Widgets manual
	The X Toolkit manual
	Xt Widgets/Toolkit source
	X books (O'Reilly, etc)

It also helps (at least, this was my approach) to take a widget from the
standard library and try a modification.  I tried to take the Text widget and
make a similar widget (a subclass of Text) for a project I'm working on here,
and I was amazed that after doing what I thought would be a very simple
modification, I had worked my way through almost all of the X Toolkit manual
and it actually made sense :-).  The O'Reilly books are great and I've got
them, but it seems that most stuff can be done at the Toolkit level.

-- Alan    ..!{ames,cit-vax}!elroy!alan         * "But, seriously, what can
           alan@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov                 go wrong?"

randy@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Randy Orrison) (11/11/88)

In article <11075@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> alan@jane.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Alan S. Mazer) writes:
|I was in this position not too long ago.  My suggested approach is to read the
|following in order:
|
|	The Rosenthal paper (so that you basically have an idea of what's
|			    happening)

What / where is "The Rosenthal paper"?  Is this what it's called, so
I'll recognize it when I find it?  If possible (and relevant) could
someone offer to mail it to me?  (Don't actually mail it, I'll reply
by mail to the first offer so I don't get dozens of copies.)

	Thanks!!
		-randy
--
Randy Orrison, Chemical Computer Thinking Battery  --  randy@cctb.mn.org
(aka randy@{ux.acss.umn.edu, umn-cs.uucp, umnacca.bitnet, halcdc.uucp})

oj@apollo.COM (Ellis Oliver Jones) (11/15/88)

In article <4104@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu> ehrlich@shire.cs.psu.edu (Dan Ehrlich) writes:
>... I am looking for introductory material with plenty of examples.
>So far I am aware of ...  a forthcoming book from Prentice Hall.

The Prentice-Hall book is (finally) out.

Title, Author:  Introduction to the X Window System by Oliver Jones.

Description and Contents:
This book is written for the professional application developer
who will use X, and for the student who wishes to learn about
the motivations for and capabilities of the X Window System.
It describes how to use Xlib, the "C" language interface to the
X Window System.  Numerous figures and code examples are provided, as
well as an index.  The book is 511 pages long, and is cross-referenced
to the "official" Xlib documentation.

1.  Introduction
2.  Hello, World!
3.  X Concepts
4.  Windows
5.  Graphics
6.  Text
7.  Color
8.  Pixmaps, Bitmaps, and Images
9.  The Mouse and Pointer
10. The Keyboard
11. Advanced Event Handling
12. Communicating Between Applications
Appendix A.  helloworld.c
Appendix B.  X Protocol Request Codes
Appendix C.  Latin-1 and Standard Keysysms
Appendix D.  Fonts
Appendix E.  Color Names
Appendix F.  Standard Cursor Shapes and Symbols
Appendix G.  Predefined Atoms

Availability:
The book was published on about November 4th with a 1989 copyright
date, and is for sale in bookstores.

As of last Thursday, Quantum Books in Cambridge had it, and
Computer Literacy in San Jose was expecting it soon.

ISBN 0-13-499997-5

If you prefer, you may order directly from the publisher.
To order fewer than twenty copies, call 201-767-5937.
Please call 201-767-2498 to order twenty or more copies.

Thanks to the many xpert people who asked good questions, and thanks
to RWS and his colleagues for all their efforts.
-------
Oliver Jones (speaking for myself, not necessarily for Apollo Computer, Inc.)
(non-disclaimer...I'm the author)