[comp.windows.x] Cursor droppings with X11R3 on the Sun 386i

jepeway@alphard.cs.utk.edu (Chris Jepeway) (11/13/88)

In article <3390@nicmad.UUCP> lalonde@nicmad.UUCP (John Lalonde) writes:
>I have built the vanilla X11R3 distribution for a Sun 386i (SunOS 4.0.0)
>and have noticed a problem with xterm's cursor. When the mouse is moved (out
>and then back in) of an xterm's window, the cursor will be repositioned
>(slightly) and as a result leave an edge of the cursor on the line if a
>carriage return is entered.

I've seen the same problem: moving the mouse out of
an xterm window sometimes leaves the hollowed inactive text cursor
slightly to the right of where the filled-in cursor appears when
you move the mouse back into the window.  Thence dribble.
For what it's worth, the only time I can get this to happen is in rn.

>John LaLonde
>Systems Engineering Group
>Nicolet Instrument Corporation
>uucp: {ucbvax,rutgers,harvard}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!lalonde

Chris Jepeway
UTK CS Dept

jim@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Jim Fulton) (11/15/88)

Hmm, are you using R3 xterm, fonts, and server?  There was a bug in the R2
xterm that caused it to display the "hollow" cursor in the wrong place (it
was hidden by bugs in various R2 fonts).  If you are using all-R3 stuff and
seeing the problem, do send a bug report with a full description of how to
reproduce it (e.g. make sure you list which font).

If you are using R2 fonts, make sure you recompile them and run mkfontdir....

								Jim

weening@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU (Joe Weening) (11/15/88)

In article <8811141954.AA25317@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU>, jim@EXPO (Jim Fulton) writes:

>Hmm, are you using R3 xterm, fonts, and server?  There was a bug in the R2
>xterm that caused it to display the "hollow" cursor in the wrong place (it
>was hidden by bugs in various R2 fonts).  If you are using all-R3 stuff and
>seeing the problem, do send a bug report with a full description of how to
>reproduce it (e.g. make sure you list which font).

That explains it.  This was happening to me too, but now I see it
happens only when using an R2 xterm (typically on a host that hasn't
upgraded to R3 yet) with an R3 server.
--
Joe Weening                                Computer Science Dept.
weening@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU          Stanford University