[comp.windows.x] X server/ Display postscript

mtr@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Miek Rowan) (11/18/88)

I just came from the NeXT demo here at Purdue.  Not too impressive, but
I don't really care to discuss that here.

Anyway, I pestered the guy about thier window server* and about whether
he knew of any X Server ports for display postscript on his machine.
He said that a number of schools expressed an interest in it but that
they would not support it commercially (look what Sun did to the
NeWs/X server...)

Please, no flames here.  If you disagree, take it to comp.sys.next.  I
only want to know if anyone out there is planning/thinking about working
on this.  I am interested in working on it.  We are getting about 20
of these boxes (10 in mid December) so who knows.   Now, if I could add
12 hours to the length of a day ;-)

comments?
mtr

*) The guy was kind of funny.  He was all brags till I mentioned the S word :-(
(source)

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (11/19/88)

(note that followups are directed to comp.sys.next!)

In article <1180@mace.cc.purdue.edu> mtr@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Miek Rowan) writes:
>I just came from the NeXT demo here at Purdue...I pestered the guy
>about thier window server*
>*) The guy was kind of funny. He was all brags till I mentioned the S word :-(
>(source)

He may be the same guy that we had beat up here for two days about
that S-word, just before he went out to visit you.  We offered (how
can I put this nicely?) our strong opinion that NeXT should release
sources to the protocol and toolkit libraries.  They should at least
sell it on a separate license, or perhaps even ship it with the other
bundled stuff.

X can be had for free, Sun is selling NeWS, and the only way for
NeXT/StepStone/IBM to make their stuff at all popular in heterogenous
environments is to make sure that we can put their applications on any
other vendor's system that walks in the door or trickles across the net.