[comp.windows.x] Weird Cursors in X

jec@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (James E. Conley) (11/23/88)

	I am running X.V11R3 with fix1, fix2, and casey@ucla's three patches
installed.  The problem that I am having is that the cursor can't seem to
figure out what it should be.  At the root window it is the usual "X" cursor
only the white border is missing.  If I bring the cursor into an xterm window
the cursor looks like the "X" cursor with a few pixels shaved off of the
sides.  If I move the cursor into other windows, I get a small-arrow cursor.

	I'm running on a mono-chrome DN3000 under SR10 (bsd4.3 [ha!]).

    III			Usenet:     iuvax!jec
UUU  I  UUU		ARPANet:    jec@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
 U   I   U		Phone:      (812) 855-7729
 U   I   U		U.S. Mail:  James E. Conley
 U   I   U			    Indiana University
  UUUIUUU			    Dept. of Computer Science
     I				    004 Lindley Hall
    III				    Bloomington, IN. 47405

eli@haddock.ima.isc.com (Elias Israel) (11/24/88)

In article <15252@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> jec@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (James E. Conley) writes:

>	I am running X.V11R3 with fix1, fix2, and casey@ucla's three patches
>installed.  The problem that I am having is that the cursor can't seem to
>figure out what it should be.  At the root window it is the usual "X" cursor
>only the white border is missing.  If I bring the cursor into an xterm window
>the cursor looks like the "X" cursor with a few pixels shaved off of the
>sides.  If I move the cursor into other windows, I get a small-arrow cursor.
>
>	I'm running on a mono-chrome DN3000 under SR10 (bsd4.3 [ha!]).

I had this problem, too. I traced it to some questionable code in
$(TOP)/server/dix/dixfonts.c which the optimizer apparently breaks. Recompile
this file without the optimizer and relink the server and it should run fine
for you (it does for me).

No, I don't know exactly what the optimizer breaks, but it probably has
something to do with casting (short *) to (char *) or vice versa. See
the definition of XChar2b and the routine GetGlyphs in dixfonts.c for
more info.

Elias Israel		   | "Justice, n. A commodity which in more or
Interactive Systems Corp.  | less adulterated condition the State sells
Boston, MA		   | to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance,
..!ima!haddock!eli	   | taxes, and personal service."