[comp.windows.x] Problems with 'xrdb' & 'xdm'?

valdis@alchemy.mcs.clarkson.edu (& Kletnieks) (11/24/88)

Anybody have any flames/suggestions/hints for the following? (I'll even
settle for an 'rtfm' if you point which one I should have read...)

Scenario:

Sun 3/260, hi-res monochrome screen, running SunOS 4.0, and
X11R3 (patches 1-2 and Purdue speedups).

1) 'xrdb -query' only outputs ONE line.  While debugging the following
problems, I was forced to do: 'xrdb -edit xyzz;cat xyzzy;rm xyzzy' to
see what I had set.

2) 'xdm', contrary to the 'man' page, doesn't want to read
/usr/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-config by default, I had to give a '-config'
pointing there to make it work.

3) I am using the 'sample' Xsession script out of the 'xdm' man page.
I find that the .xsession script should NOT exit until the user is done,
or 'xdm' closes everything down.  The solution I used was to make the
last line of the .xession script an 'exec xterm' line.  The problem here is
that THIS instance of 'xterm' doesn't find the font I specify, or get a
scrollbar, or anything else I gave in .Xresources.  The OTHER 3 xterms
find all the stuff just fine.

(here is the .Xresources I used):
xterm*vt100*font:	8x13
xterm*vt100*borderWidth:	2
xterm*vt100*jumpScroll:	on
xterm*vt100*multiScroll:	on
xterm*vt100*saveLines:	255
xterm*vt100*scrollBar:	on
xterm*vt100*statusLine:	on
xman**topBox: false
xman*manualBrowser.geometry: 800x1020+100+100
xman.IconGeometry: 30x30-160+4
xmh*CompGeometry: 500x660

(Here is the .xsession I used):
#!/bin/csh
xrdb -load ~/.Xresources
xhost +sun.mcs
xhost +sun.soe
xhost +alliant.soe
twm &
rsh sun.mcs -n "exeqt xterm -display `hostname | sed 's/\.clarkson\.edu//'`:0.0 -geometry 80x24+680+0  -n sun.mcs" &
xterm -geometry 80x68+0-0 -n "    Work 1   " &
xterm -geometry 80x68+680-0 -n "    Work 2   " &
xclock -geometry 120x120-0+0 &
/usr/local/Gnu/bin/emacs -w =80x68+200+200 -font 8x13 -b 3 -i &
xbiff -geometry -160+0 &
xmh -geometry 660x700-0-0 &
exec xterm -C -geometry 80x24+0+0 -name login

4) Has anybody hacked 'xperfmon' to support SunOS 4.0 and the -lkvm routines?

				Valdis Kletnieks
				Sr. Systems Programmer
				Clarkson University

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (11/24/88)

    1) 'xrdb -query' only outputs ONE line.

We certainly haven't seen this behaviour here.

    2) 'xdm', contrary to the 'man' page, doesn't want to read
    /usr/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-config by default, I had to give a '-config'
    pointing there to make it work.

It works just fine on the Sun I'm sitting here typing at.
You might want to try running xdm with -debug 99 and look
at the output (and the xdm-errors file) to see what it says.

    I find that the .xsession script should NOT exit until the user is done,
    or 'xdm' closes everything down.

Right.  Sorry if this wasn't clear.

    The problem here is
    that THIS instance of 'xterm' doesn't find the font I specify, or get a
    scrollbar, or anything else I gave in .Xresources.

Right, because you specified "-name login", which changes the name
under which resources get fetched.  Perhaps you wanted -n instead,
or perhaps -title.

schwartz@shire.cs.psu.edu (Scott Schwartz) (11/28/88)

Bob Scheifler writes:
>    1) 'xrdb -query' only outputs ONE line.
>We certainly haven't seen this behaviour here.

We've seen it here.  SunOS 4.0 on a 4/260 and a 3/160.
--
Scott Schwartz		<schwartz@shire.cs.psu.edu>

rapatel@athos.rutgers.edu ( Rakesh Patel) (11/28/88)

Bob Scheifler writes:
>    1) 'xrdb -query' only outputs ONE line.
>We certainly haven't seen this behaviour here.

I've also got the same problem - running SunOS 4.0 on a 3/60 and 3/50.

							Rakesh Patel.

jsp@doc.ic.ac.UK (Jan-Simon Pendry) (11/28/88)

Bob Scheifler writes:
>    1) 'xrdb -query' only outputs ONE line.
>We certainly haven't seen this behaviour here.

There is a bug in SunOS 4.0 with fputs on line buffered streams
which may be causing the problem.  It is fixed by loading the 4.0.1
patch tape.  Before applying the patch I had the problem, after
applying the patch I don't.  The comment in the accompanying README
is as follows:

Reference Number:  1011741

	Synopsis:  fputs fails with >1 newline on line-buffered streams

	When `fputs' is called with a string containing more
	than one newline, and the stream passed to `fputs'
	is line-buffered, everything up to the first newline
	will be printed, but nothing more.

jsp.

valdis@alchemy.mcs.clarkson.edu (& Kletnieks) (11/29/88)

OK, I 'rtfm'ed for the stupid error of mine concerning '-name' on an xterm,
I changed it to '-n' and it works fine.

In 'xrdb -query' only outputting one line, I just got the following:

Subject: Re: Problems with 'xrdb' & 'xdm'?
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 88 09:20:44 PST
From: Dave Lemke <lemke@sun.com>

  From:  sun.soe.clarkson.edu!valdis@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  (& Kletnieks)
  Date:  23 Nov 88 18:52:17 GMT

> Anybody have any flames/suggestions/hints for the following? (I'll even
> settle for an 'rtfm' if you point which one I should have read...)

> Scenario:

> Sun 3/260, hi-res monochrome screen, running SunOS 4.0, and
> X11R3 (patches 1-2 and Purdue speedups).

> 1) 'xrdb -query' only outputs ONE line.  While debugging the following
> problems, I was forced to do: 'xrdb -edit xyzz;cat xyzzy;rm xyzzy' to
> see what I had set.

bug in 4.0 fputs().  it only spits out text up to a '\n' if the output
buffer is fresh.  supossedly this is fixed in 4.0.1.  my workaround
was to change the 'fputs' in xrdb to use 'puts'.

Dave Lemke				ARPA: lemke@sun.com
Window Systems Group			UUCP: ucbvax!sun!lemke
Sun Microsystems, Inc.