[comp.windows.x] X on MS-DOS?

peters@ti-csl.UUCP (03/21/87)

Sorry for the repost.  I fear my last posting got munged...

We're looking into developing code for a PC (AT clone of some sort) to make
it a network connected "smart terminal".  What I've heard described is kind
of a cross between BLT (5620) capabilities and X (from what little I know
about X).  Goodies would include:

	- The ability to download code from the host (a Unix system of
	  some sort) across the network

	- Windows, color, bit map graphics, mouse, etc

	- Enough intelligence in the MS-DOS applications to handle routine
	  dealings with humans and give concise commands across the network
	  to the host.

X seems a good place to start for window management, etc.  Because MS-DOS
isn't multi-tasking, we'll have all of those problems to deal with--if
something happens involving two or more windows, it's up to our code to
remember to update them all.

I'm no expert on X, so I'm wondering:

	- Has anyone worked with X on MS-DOS?
	- Is there some basic structural 'feature' of X that won't work
	  on MS-DOS?
	- In general, are we going to have LOTS of problems?

Any input is appreciated.  Please respond by E-mail.  I don't follow these
boards too closely.  I will be happy to post summaries if there is
interest.

--
Patrick Peters                 UUCP:    ut-sally!im4u!ti-csl!tifsie!pat
Texas Instruments                          sun!texsun!ti-csl!tifsie!pat

speter@bacchus.UUCP (03/29/87)

In article <17364@ti-csl.CSNET> peters@ti-csl.CSNET (Pat Peters) writes:

>We're looking into developing code for a PC (AT clone of some sort) to make
>it a network connected "smart terminal".  What I've heard described is kind
>of a cross between BLT (5620) capabilities and X (from what little I know
>about X).  Goodies would include:
>
>	- The ability to download code from the host (a Unix system of
>	  some sort) across the network

This is an easy solution.  Your Unix system should have a routine called
TFTP.  If not there is another routine, which you can buy yourself if you
have to, called Kermit.

Use your man pages on the Unix system to learn about TFTP.

>	- Windows, color, bit map graphics, mouse, etc

As of yet, we, MIT, to the best of my knowledge see no way of putting
X on a PC of any type, save the RT when it is in Unix mode.

I suggest you buy Microsoft Windows or other such package for your
work.  I have heard good things about it.

>	- Enough intelligence in the MS-DOS applications to handle routine
>	  dealings with humans and give concise commands across the network
>	  to the host.

There are ways to do this. The best way, or at least one of the best is
the telnet or rlogin routine which is supported by Unix.  The essencially
make your PC look like a smart periferal.  The are other command such as
rsh is Unix which can be of use.  The big thing is to get started.  You
should have enough information from here to do just that.

>X seems a good place to start for window management, etc.  Because MS-DOS
>isn't multi-tasking, we'll have all of those problems to deal with--if
>something happens involving two or more windows, it's up to our code to
>remember to update them all.
>
>I'm no expert on X, so I'm wondering:
>
>	- Has anyone worked with X on MS-DOS?

X does not work on MS-DOS.

>	- Is there some basic structural 'feature' of X that won't work
>	  on MS-DOS?

It was developed by Brown U. for use exclusively on a Unix system.
I fear that were one able to port it to a PC you would need something
on the order of 30Meg to hold just it.
{

jim@ci-dandelion.UUCP (03/30/87)

Peter Osgood (speter@athena.mit.edu) writes:
> X does not work on MS-DOS.

Oh really?

This message is being written from an xterm that I popped onto one of the
PC/AT's sitting in my office.  Cognition has had X running on MS-DOS for
over a year.

> As of yet, we, MIT, to the best of my knowledge see no way of putting
> X on a PC of any type, save the RT when it is in Unix mode.

You might want to review the XPERT archives for the various discussions of
low end X implementations.  In January I posted a technical summary of
Cognition's PC/X shortly after the X Conference (at which Locus described
their 386 version of X).  Also, I've spoken to several people back at Athena
about PC/X.

Although I agree that having X run so that local applications can talk to the
window system is a hard problem on a 286 (or worse) class machine, a server is
fairly straightforward to implement.

Admittedly we have had to put a little extra hardware in the AT to make it
perform well (moderately smart high-res graphics board and Expanded Memory),
but it really isn't fair to say that X doesn't run on MS-DOS (Locus's runs
on the plain 386 hardware).

For the record, PC/X is NOT an available product.  We sell it only as part of
our integrated Mechanical Computer Aided Engineering product line.  However,
I'm quite willing to send out copies of the technical description mentioned
above.  If you would like one just send me email (please include the return
address in your message).

People who are interested in writing MS-DOS X applications or being able
to run an MS-DOS application in an X window should contact Locus Computing
about their Merge 386 product.

							Jim Fulton
							Cognition Inc.
                                                        900 Tech Park Drive
uucp:  ...!{mit-eddie,talcott}!ci-dandelion!jim         Billerica, MA
arpa:  jim@athena.mit.edu, fulton@eddie.mit.edu         (617) 667-4800

speter@bacchus.UUCP (03/30/87)

In article <821@ci-dandelion.UUCP> jim@ci-dandelion.UUCP (Jim Fulton) writes:
>Peter Osgood (speter@athena.mit.edu) writes:
>> X does not work on MS-DOS.
>
>Oh really?
>
>This message is being written from an xterm that I popped onto one of the
>PC/AT's sitting in my office.  Cognition has had X running on MS-DOS for
>over a year.

Yes, I believe you.  It seems I have made a faux pas of major proportions.

I beg of anyone who reads this net to totally disregard my previous
posting regarding this subject in its entirety.  It is full of
mistakes.

Also, anything which I said was of course out of my own ignorance.

Please forgive?

				---peter osgood---

twh@yafs.cray.COM (Tim Hoel) (11/30/88)

Is there a version of X windows for MS-DOS on a PC?
I have been using X on a Sun and would like to port
a program to a PC.  Thanks.

Tim Hoel
twh@cray.com