[comp.windows.x] key repeat rate in X11R3 on sun3's and 4's

ghh@thought.princeton.edu (Gilbert Harman) (11/24/88)

Using X11R3 on sun 3's and 4's, I find that the key repeat
rate is much faster than on the previous version.  Too fast.
Is there a way to adjust this rate without just turning off
key repeating?

--
		       Gilbert Harman
                       Princeton University Cognitive Science Laboratory

		       ghh@princeton.edu
		       HARMAN@PUCC.BITNET

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (11/24/88)

    Using X11R3 on sun 3's and 4's, I find that the key repeat
    rate is much faster than on the previous version.  Too fast.

Strange.  I'm basically positive we didn't change this between
R2 and R3.

    Is there a way to adjust this rate without just turning off
    key repeating?

No way using the protocol.  It ought to be settable at least
on the Sun server command line, but isn't.  You can go in and
edit server/ddx/sun/sun.h, and change AUTOREPEAT_DELAY.

wohler@spam.istc.sri.com (Bill Wohler) (11/27/88)

Gilbert Harman writes:
>Using X11R3 on sun 3's and 4's, I find that the key repeat
>rate is much faster than on the previous version.  Too fast.
>Is there a way to adjust this rate without just turning off
>key repeating?

  too fast?

  bob, actually i think the rate was changed from 100 to 50
  milliseconds between the two releases.  however, 50 is still too
  slow--again i changed AUTOREPEAT_DELAY in server/ddx/sun/sun.h to
  20.

						--bw

caromero@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (C. Antonio Romero) (11/28/88)

In article <15108@joyce.istc.sri.com> wohler@spam.istc.sri.com (Bill Wohler) writes:
>Gilbert Harman writes:
>>Using X11R3 on sun 3's and 4's, I find that the key repeat
>>rate is much faster than on the previous version.  Too fast.
>  too fast?
>
>  bob, actually i think the rate was changed from 100 to 50
>  milliseconds between the two releases.  however, 50 is still too
>  slow--again i changed AUTOREPEAT_DELAY in server/ddx/sun/sun.h to
>  20.

I think that the problem Gil is experiencing (well, at least I'm having
this problem...) is not with the repeat-rate, but with the length
of time you have to hold a key to get a repeat.  I at least have had problems
with getting some repetition during normal typing.  Causes lots of typos.

I haven't looked at source, but AUTOREPEAT_DELAY sounds like it governs
the length of time between repetitions, not the time when the first
repeptition starts. (Maybe it governs both...)
Is there any way to lengthen the period between when you hit a key and
when the auto-repeat starts?
(I hope this is clear...)
If there isn't, could it be put on the "wish list" for future releases?

-Antonio Romero        romero@confidence.princeton.edu

phil@BRL.MIL (Phil Dykstra) (11/28/88)

Two numbers govern the Sun server autorepeat behavior (both in sun.h):

AUTOREPEAT_INITIATE	- startup delay in milliseconds
AUTOREPEAT_DELAY	- between char delay in milliseconds

The X11R2 values were:

	INITIATE 200 ms, DELAY 50 msec.

On a Sun 3/50 the *measured* value of delay was comming out around
80 milliseconds.  The measured values for Suntools were approximately:

	INITIATE 500 ms, DELAY 40 msec.

My personal feeling was that 200 INITIATE was a wee bit fast and 50 DELAY
(actual of 80) as too slow.  I changed the R2 values to:

	INITIATE 300 ms, DELAY 25 msec

The latter achieved an actual delay of ~40 msec.  I have not looked at
the R3 code yet.  A command line option for the server would be the best
thing to do about this opinionated matter.

- Phil

jim@athsys.uucp (Jim Becker) (11/29/88)

	To ask a more general question, will the numerics that fall
into the realm of "user preference" be setable through some sort of
"Preferences" in the future. Each user has their own tastes, as we can
see even from the small number of postings, and it is in everyone's
interest to please the wide audience to increase the popularity of the
X Window System.

	If these, and other "standard" items (bell volume, key click,
mouse sensitivity, double-click duration, etc..) are brought out to
the programmatic level all users will eventually be sated. If these
are constants that one effectivily has to rebuild the server to change
people will still say that the Mac or the Amiga are better systems....
;-)

-Jim Becker

rob@daisy.UUCP (Rob Posadas) (11/30/88)

In article <4601@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> caromero@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (C. Antonio Romero) writes:
>In article <15108@joyce.istc.sri.com> wohler@spam.istc.sri.com (Bill Wohler) writes:
>>Gilbert Harman writes:
>>>Using X11R3 on sun 3's and 4's, I find that the key repeat
>>>rate is much faster than on the previous version.  Too fast.
>Is there any way to lengthen the period between when you hit a key and
>when the auto-repeat starts?

Try increasing AUTOREPEAT_INITIATE in sun.h
We have set AUTOREPEAT_INITIATE to 300 and AUTOREPEAT_DELAY to 20
and it seems fine.  Though we still have people who are complain
that autorepeat is not fast enough.

I eventually had to add the two values as parameters to the command line.

--
            Rob Posadas -- Daisy Systems Corp
            700 E. Middlefield Rd.