[comp.windows.x] does anyone have an xterm that works correctly with new R3 fonts

sundar@WHEATIES.AI.MIT.EDU (Sundar Narasimhan) (11/29/88)

The new R3 fonts are great but programs like xterm still dont seem to
use them effectively. Has anyone fixed this problem? or working on it?

Thanks,
-Sundar

jim@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Jim Fulton) (11/29/88)

> The new R3 fonts are great but programs like xterm still dont seem to
> use them effectively.

Perhaps this should say "has anyone enhanced xterm use variable-width fonts"
since xterm works just fine with the fixed-width R3 fonts (the Courier family).

Assuming that you're willing to say that all lines must still have the same
number of columns (yuck), this might not be too hard.  You'd probably have to
keep another array indicating the x coordinate of each character since you no
longer do a simple multiply.  Or, you could make sure that you've cached the
"current" x position and take the hit on any repositioning (screen editors
would probably run noticably slower).

Columns of text will look really ugly.

If you do implement it, please send context diffs to xbugs.

The text widget, however, does understand variable-width fonts.

								Jim

schwartz@shire.cs.psu.edu (Scott Schwartz) (11/30/88)

In article <8811291415.AA09212@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU>, jim@EXPO (Jim Fulton) writes:
>Columns of text will look really ugly.

Apollo's window system (DOMAIN? Aegis? something like that) supports
variable width fonts.  True, some output looks strange, but as I
recall it was not so bad.

(Now if only Apollo would donate "tolkien letters" to the X
consortium, I would be perfectly happy.)
--
Scott Schwartz		<schwartz@shire.cs.psu.edu>

burzio@mmlai.UUCP (Anthony Burzio) (11/30/88)

In article <8811282313.AA04289@frankenberry.ai.mit.edu>, sundar@WHEATIES.AI.MIT.EDU (Sundar Narasimhan) writes:
> The new R3 fonts are great but programs like xterm still dont seem to
> use them effectively. Has anyone fixed this problem? or working on it?

The vtsingle and vtbold fonts are nice but very tiny.  Does anybody
have something larger that has the DEC-style line drawing set?  I'm
getting bleary-eyed trying to read the small print...

Tony Burzio          * Hmmm...  Why doesn't my XTERM window pop to the
Martin Marietta Labs * front when my cursor enters like it did in X10?

turner@daisy.UUCP (Jim Turner) (11/30/88)

xterm will only work correctly with the monospaced fonts in R3, if you
think about it (which i didn't when i first tried xterm) this is the
correct behavior for a terminal emulator. But I have a different question,
why do the monospace fonts run so much slower (about 30%) than the R2
fonts under R3?????

data: running X11R3 under SunOS 4.0 on a Sun 386i

--
Can this wait until after I've had my coffee ???
...{decwrl|ucbvax}!imagen!atari!daisy!turner (James M. Turner)