[net.news.group] Database group

edc@ur-msbvax.UUCP (07/29/85)

	I use Ingres on a VMS VAX, and am interested in sharing information
about it.  I'm particularly interested in warnings of bugs in new releases,
and in sharing equel/fortran and equel/c programs and macros.  If this
interests you, please send me your network address.  If there are only a
few responses, I'll mail all the addresses I get to the other respondents,
so we can mail to each other; if there are a lot of responses, I'll ask
the various wizards to start a new group.

	Perhaps there should be a net.database group.  If it becomes dominated
by a single system, a subgroup could be spawned.  If this interests you, let
me know.

	I'll post a summary of responses in a couple of weeks.

Eric Carleen
UUCP: {allegra, seismo}!rochester!ur-msbvax!edc
Phone: (716)-275-5391

mikem@tekcae.UUCP (Michael E. Meyer) (07/31/85)

The net.database concept is a good idea.  The entire realm of data
management and databases seems to have gone unnoticed on the net.  Our group
here at TEK is interested in data management in general and databases in
particular.  I would suggest that the group we need is net.dm.ingres where
the dm=data management.

An example of data management issues that transcend the database world are
semantic grammars for data translation i.e. EDIF, IGES (you can see we have
a rather parochial view of the world).  Therefore, the data management world
could grow to:

	net.dm        ........	General Data Management Issues

	net.dm.irds   ........  Data Management issues related to meta-data
				issues.  A discussion could begin here on the
				IRDS (Information Resource Dictionary System)
				standard just sent out by X3H4 for public
				review.

	net.dm.ingres ........  INGRES issues

	net.dm.<dbms> ........  <Other DBMSs>

	net.dm.trans  ........  Data Interfaces (Translators)

I would be interested in comments and other ideas but in any case let's get
some discussion of the DM issues started...

Michael E. Meyer
USENET: ...!tektronix!tekcae!mikem
  ARPA:	tekcae!mikem.tek@CSNET-RELAY
USnail: TEKTRONIX, Inc.
	P.O. Box 500, MS 19-075
	Beaverton, OR 97077 USA
	(503) 627-2628

sob@neuro1.UUCP (Stan Barber) (07/31/85)

I vote yes also. I am working with both UNIFY and INGRES and am interested
in sharing information.
--
Stan		uucp:{ihnp4!shell,rice}!neuro1!sob     Opinions expressed
Olan		ARPA:sob@rice.arpa		       here are ONLY mine &

jerry@uwmcsd1.UUCP (Jerry Lieberthal) (08/02/85)

> I vote yes also. I am working with both UNIFY and INGRES and am interested
> in sharing information.
> --
> Stan		uucp:{ihnp4!shell,rice}!neuro1!sob     Opinions expressed
> Olan		ARPA:sob@rice.arpa		       here are ONLY mine &
> Barber		CIS:71565,623   BBS:(713)660-9262      noone else's.

Same here, including UNIFY/INGRES/ORACLE.
	jerry --  ihnp4!uwmcsd1!jerry

lmc@denelcor.UUCP (Lyle McElhaney) (08/03/85)

> The net.database concept is a good idea.

Can't dispute that, but I do know that the mailing list concerning databases
expired after two issues, so I wonder how much real data can be generated.

> I would be interested in comments and other ideas but in any case let's get
> some discussion of the DM issues started...

Yes, please start some discussion, and see if it gets in anyone's hair
before starting up a newsgroup for it.

Lyle McElhaney
...denelcor!lmc