[comp.windows.x] xterm trouble with tek mode

dan@s3tang.ARPA (Dan Peterka) (12/08/88)

I have a situation which causes xterm to crash whenever I attempt to open the
tek window. Has anybody else experienced a similar problem? My configuration
is as follows:

Sun 3/50
SunOS 4.0
X11r3
twm

I can successfully show the tek window ONLY from the console xterm which I
have opened from my ~/.xinitrc. Any other xterm opened, either on my machine
or any of the other machines in our network (even machines running X11r2),
results in an immediate window crash with the following error in the console:

xterm: not a valid window ID
Request code 61, minor code 0, serial #228, resource id 0
Abort

It appears to be an error message associated with XClearArea, but that's as
far back as I have been able to track it. It seems that I must have something
set up incorrectly since I can get xterms wherever I want. It also seem strange
that I would get this behavior from an xterm started from the console xterm.

Any hints where I might begin to look?

Dan Peterka  619 453-0060  S-Cubed, San Diego
dan@scubed.com or sdcsvax!scubed!dan
------
Dan Peterka                S-Cubed
dan@scubed.com             PO Box 1620
(619) 587-8444             La Jolla, CA 92038

amana@andante.UUCP (John Amanatides) (12/09/88)

In article <902@scubed.UUCP> sdcsvax!scubed!dan (Dan Peterka) writes:
>I have a situation which causes xterm to crash whenever I attempt to open the
>tek window. Has anybody else experienced a similar problem?

I had a similar problem.  The solution was to remove the entry:

	xterm*geometry:    80x24

from my .Xdefaults file.

John Amanatides