[comp.windows.x] Server not authorized. Novice question

rgr@m10ux.UUCP (Duke Robillard) (12/07/88)

Here's a novice X question:

  whenever I try to start a client on a remote machine (e.g.
my server is running on one sun, I rlogin to another and try
to run emacs or xclock or xeyes), I get an error message of
the form:

   Server is not authorized to connect to host

my DISPLAY is set correctly.  I suspect that some system-ish
protection or something is wrong (maybe with xterm?  I dunno).
Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks
--
|  Duke Robillard                  |                                     |
|  ARPA:     rgr@m10ux.att.com     |  UUCP:     {backbone!}att!m10ux!rgr |

kochhar@endor.harvard.edu (Sandeep Kochhar) (12/09/88)

In article <783@m10ux.UUCP> rgr@m10ux.UUCP (Duke Robillard) writes:

>Here's a novice X question:
>
>  whenever I try to start a client on a remote machine (e.g.
>my server is running on one sun, I rlogin to another and try
>to run emacs or xclock or xeyes), I get an error message of
>the form:
>
>   Server is not authorized to connect to host
>
>my DISPLAY is set correctly.  I suspect that some system-ish
>protection or something is wrong (maybe with xterm?  I dunno).
>Does anyone have any advice?

It seems that you need to use the "xhost" command.  The simple
fix would be for you to type "xhost +<hostname>", where
<hostname> is the name of the machine from which you are trying
to connect, or "xhost +" to allow anyone to connect;  however,
to find out how to avoid doing this every time, you should
look at the xhost man page.

thanks.
sandeep kochhar
email: kochhar@harvard.harvard.edu

jack@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Jack Peterson) (12/09/88)

/ hpcvlx:comp.windows.x / rgr@m10ux.UUCP (Duke Robillard) /  7:10 am  Dec  7, 1988 /

Here's a novice X question:

  whenever I try to start a client on a remote machine (e.g.
my server is running on one sun, I rlogin to another and try
to run emacs or xclock or xeyes), I get an error message of
the form:

   Server is not authorized to connect to host

my DISPLAY is set correctly.  I suspect that some system-ish
protection or something is wrong (maybe with xterm?  I dunno).
Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks
--
|  Duke Robillard                  |                                     |
|  ARPA:     rgr@m10ux.att.com     |  UUCP:     {backbone!}att!m10ux!rgr |
|  or maybe: m10ux!rgr@att.att.com | BITNET:   rgr%m10ux.att.com@cunyvm  |

Try the command "xhost +[hostname]" to temporarily give another machine
access to your display (until you stop that particular X session). For
more permanent permission, add the hostname to your /etc/X0.hosts file.

Jack Peterson
HP Corvallis Workstation Operation
Support Engineer