[comp.windows.x] R3 xterm and controlling tty's and awm

mlp) (12/09/88)

>> I've noticed that if I type an interrupt char in my console window,
>> any windows I've started from my awm menu get killed.  This only
>> started happening in R3.  I'll bet this is the cause.  Any takers on
>> an explanation for the change?

I can confirm this behaviour if you run your awm from the xterm console
window.  Typically we don't do this rather we run awm from xinit and then
use the awm -e option to startup my initial set of clients.  This hides
the effect you mentioned since the console xterm csh and awm have
different controlling tty's.

Mark Patrick
Ardent Computer
uunet!ardent!mlp

tom@WORK8.ICASE.EDU (Tom Crockett) (12/09/88)

>  I can confirm this behaviour if you run your awm from the xterm console
>  window.  Typically we don't do this rather we run awm from xinit and then
>  use the awm -e option to startup my initial set of clients.

I have been using awm from the R3 tape + patch08, and have found it impossible
to do the following:

  xinit awm -e $HOME/.xinitrc

Awm -e always seems to crash in this situation.  Has anyone else seen this
behavior?  Any thoughts on what might be causing it?  We are running R3 +
fixes1-2 + Purdue-speedups under SunOS 3.5 on Sun 3/50s.

We also have another annoying problem:  window manager restarts (f.restart)
invoked from a menu often cause the server to terminate.  This is not
consistent.  It seems to happen roughly once out of every three restarts.
Could this be because awm is somehow causing the clients to die?  I have to
admit I haven't spent a whole lot of effort looking into the causes -- I have
more pressing things to work on.  I can't recall seeing this problem in R2, or
least not with anything approaching this frequency.

Tom Crockett

Institute for Computer Applications in Science and Engineering
M.S. 132C, NASA Langley Research Center
Hampton, VA  23665

e-mail:  tom@icase.edu		phone:   (804) 865-4097

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (12/09/88)

    We also have another annoying problem:  window manager restarts (f.restart)
    invoked from a menu often cause the server to terminate.

On a quick attempt I couldn't repeat this.  Does the server generate a
core file?  If so, please send us a stack trace.  Also, it would probably
help if we knew what awm configuration you were using, and exactly what
the full client configuration is.  (E.g., is this again using awm as the
initial client under xinit, or does it happen if awm is a "normal" client.)

mlp) (12/10/88)

We are running awm on both Ardent Titan's, Sun 3/50's running Sun OS 3.4 and
to a couple of  X terminals.  We are running servers based on R3 and do
not see any of the behaviour you mentioned.  Have you tried running under
Sun OS 3.4 and with standard R3 X Servers without the purdue fixes?

Mark Patrick
Ardent Computer
uunet!ardent!mlp

brooks@vette.llnl.gov (Eugene Brooks) (12/10/88)

In article <8812091324.AA02733@work8.icase.edu> tom@WORK8.ICASE.EDU (Tom Crockett) writes:

>  xinit awm -e $HOME/.xinitrc
>
>Awm -e always seems to crash in this situation.  Has anyone else seen this
>behavior?  Any thoughts on what might be causing it?  We are running R3 +
>fixes1-2 + Purdue-speedups under SunOS 3.5 on Sun 3/50s.
I had a lot of arcanity in trying to use xinit nicely under X11R3, we just
switched from X10R4 where xinit was the way to fly.  After much twiddling
I finally got xdm to work for our installation and as the manual says, it
is the way to fly.  You should use xdm as it presents a much more convenient
interface for X, if you don't want to be switching between window systems.
You exit X using the f.exit function of awm.

As examples, here are my configuration files

$HOME/.xsession:
#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/bin/X11/xrdb -load $HOME/.Xdefaults
rm $HOME/.sh_history
xset m 10 5
xset s 600
exec /usr/local/bin/X11/awm -e $HOME/.awmexec

$HOME/.awmexec:
xclock -geometry 100x100+1050+20 &
xbiff -geometry 100x100+950+20 &
/usr/local/bin/X11/xterm -sb -sl 512 -sk -ls -geometry 120x40+20+200 -n VETTE -fn 9x15 &
# My .kshrc catches TERM=vs100, changes it to xterm, and turns on msgs or biff.
/usr/local/bin/X11/xterm -C -sb -sl 512 -sk -ls -tn vs100 -geometry 80x10+1+20 -title "Console $USER" &

You have to install the system xdm configration files in LIBDIR/xdm by hand,
see the subdirectory of the xdm source directory for examples.  And for the
last trick, add the following line
/usr/local/bin/X11/xdm -server ":0 local /usr/bin/X11/Xsun :0"
to the end of your /etc/rc file just before exit 0.

You will find that using xdm and the -e option of awm to be real
convenient.