[comp.windows.x] label widget

anthonyt@sal15.usc.edu (Anthony Tieu) (11/30/88)

Hello,
	I am learning how to program using the toolkit with X-Windows.
If this sounds too trivia to some of you, please forgive me.

	I am working on a calculator program and would like to changed
the displayed value as the user clicks on the number buttons. I am
currently using the labelWidget to display the numbers.  I have tried
using XtGetValues, XtSetArg, and XtSetValues, but was unable to succeed.

	If anyone can help, I would appreciated.

Thanks.

lasslo@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Richard Lasslo) (12/02/88)

>	I am learning how to program using the toolkit with X-Windows.
>If this sounds too trivia to some of you, please forgive me.

>I am working on a calculator program and would like to changed
>the displayed value as the user clicks on the number buttons. I am
>currently using the labelWidget to display the numbers.  I have tried
>using XtGetValues, XtSetArg, and XtSetValues, but was unable to succeed.

  I did a calculator program with widgets and used statictext widgets to
display the numbers.  I used XtSetValues to change the numbers.  Also
I put a frame widget around the static text widget to get a realistic
looking calculator.

Good Luck

kit@athena.mit.edu (Chris D. Peterson) (12/02/88)

> I am working on a calculator program and would like to changed
> the displayed value as the user clicks on the number buttons.

Sound like what you want it is a Command widget, not a Label widget.
The Label widget is intended only for displaying text, not for retrieving
user input.

						Chris D. Peterson
						Project Athena
						Systems Development

Net:	kit@athena.mit.edu
Phone: (617) 253 - 1326
USMail: MIT - Room E40-342C
	77 Massachusetts Ave.
	Cambridge, MA 02139

atieu@skat.usc.edu (Anthony Tieu) (12/10/88)

I am using a label widget to display a string. Whenever I change the
string (making it longer or shorter), the label widget automatically
resize the width and height of the widget to fit the string. Is there
a way, using the XToolkit or the X-lib, to make the width and height
 of a label widget fix?
Thanks
Anthony Tieu

rlh2@ukc.ac.uk (Richard Hesketh) (12/11/88)

In article <13900@oberon.USC.EDU> atieu@skat.usc.edu () writes:
>I am using a label widget to display a string. [..]

The R3 Label Widget has an added resource, XtNresize, which when set to
FALSE causes the widget not to resize itself to its preferred size during
an XtSetValues call.

>Anthony Tieu

Richard Hesketh