[comp.windows.x] X11R3 & ultrix 2.2

grunwald@m.cs.uiuc.edu (12/06/88)

We have a vax-station 3200 running ultrix 2.2 and X11R3.

I have two questions.

(1) I've tried to compile X11 using gcc V 1.31, and while everything
    compiles (after 1 change), everything gives me X I/O errors,
    which are related to compiling Xlib with gcc. When I recompile Xlib,
    many more things work.

    The change I made was in file lib/X/Xlibint.h, routine GetReqExtra,
    in the #ifdef used by the ANSI/Gnu C pre-processor.

    There were several calls to SIZEOF(*), which gets translated into
    s_*p. I changed that definition to model the one used by the ``normal''
    cpp, substituting ## instead of /**/

    Has anyone else gotten this to work? Gnu C V 1.31 is 30% faster than
    pcc & about 10% faster than VCC, the VMS C compiler. I'd like to have
    the server & toolkits use it.

(2) We're using XDM, and while I'm generally pleased with it, I've not been
    able to figure out how to get console output to go to a window. I'm not
    a big Ultrix mavin, so I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I've looked
    at ``xcons'', but I can't seem to get it to do anything useful. Clues?

Dirk Grunwald
Univ. of Illinois
grunwald@m.cs.uiuc.edu

alan@metasoft.UUCP (Alan Epstein) (12/17/88)

In article <26900055@m.cs.uiuc.edu>, grunwald@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

> (1) I've tried to compile X11 using gcc V 1.31, and while everything
>     compiles (after 1 change), everything gives me X I/O errors,

the trick with this /**/ vs. ## stuff is to use the
-ftraditional flag to gcc. then no source changes are necessary.

Alan Epstein
Meta Software Corp                   UUCP:  ...bbn!metasoft!alan
150 Cambridgepark Dr        Internet/ARPA:  alan%metasoft@bbn.com
Cambridge, MA 02140  USA