[comp.windows.x] PURDUE+ speedup patches

brooks@maddog.llnl.gov (Eugene Brooks) (12/15/88)

Wanting to get some serious response speed out of X11R3, I fetched the
PURDUE speedups and the PURDUE+ speedups from expo.lcs.mit.edu.  These
patch files are causing quite a few .rej files with patch.  The PURDUE
speedups caused one .rej file which I managed to get by on with some
brace format changes to the pattern it was looking for, the PURDUE+ speedups
are so full of rejected patches that I don't dare fix them all by hand.

What happened here?  Is anyone else getting nailed heavily by the PURDUE+
speedup patch kit? If the patch files are bad, could some kind soul place
useful patch files for the PURDUE+ speedups on expo?

rusty@garnet.berkeley.edu (12/15/88)

In article <14671@lll-winken.llnl.gov> brooks@maddog.llnl.gov (Eugene Brooks) writes:
>Wanting to get some serious response speed out of X11R3, I fetched the
>PURDUE speedups and the PURDUE+ speedups from expo.lcs.mit.edu.  These
>patch files are causing quite a few .rej files with patch.  The PURDUE
>speedups caused one .rej file which I managed to get by on with some
>brace format changes to the pattern it was looking for, the PURDUE+ speedups
>are so full of rejected patches that I don't dare fix them all by hand.
>
>What happened here?  Is anyone else getting nailed heavily by the PURDUE+
>speedup patch kit? If the patch files are bad, could some kind soul place
>useful patch files for the PURDUE+ speedups on expo?

I also had a lot of problems with one of the patch files in the Purdue
speedups.  Even after several messages between me and Spaf and I never
managed to convince him that the patch was malformed.  I also resorted
to fixing the patch file to get it to work.  The Purdue+ patches also
generated a lot of .rej files but fortunately with them I was able to
make them all work by using the -l (loose match) flag.  (The compile is
underway so I don't know if they really work.)

--------------------------------------
	rusty c. wright
	rusty@violet.berkeley.edu ucbvax!violet!rusty

martin@CITI.UMICH.EDU (12/15/88)

	>the PURDUE+ speedups are so full of rejected patches that I don't
	dare fix them all by hand.

No joke...  sorry...

	>What happened here?

I used "diff -c -b purdue purdue+" because I remembered reading in the
xbugs-report file:

	>                          X Window System Bug Report
	>                            xbugs@expo.lcs.mit.edu

	.
	.
	.

	>SAMPLE FIX:
	>[preferred, but not necessary.  Send context diffs (diff -c -b)]

The -b causes blanks and tabs to be obscured beyond recognition (I guess from
what happened to those patches.)

	>If the patch files are bad, could some kind soul place useful patch
	>files for the PURDUE+ speedups on expo?

Yes, that has been done at about 6:30 this morning.  I use good ole' (diff
-c), and I even tested them!  So I hope they will work for you.  I got mail
from a studious person saying.

	>I had to use "patch -l -F3" to make your patches apply...

What a guy, thanks John.  And, sorry for the hastle.

Marty.

ekrell@hector.UUCP (Eduardo Krell) (12/15/88)

In article <14671@lll-winken.llnl.gov> brooks@maddog.llnl.gov (Eugene Brooks) writes:

>Is anyone else getting nailed heavily by the PURDUE+
>speedup patch kit?

Yeah. Most of the rejection are disagreements in the file ownership in the
RCS id line, but some are real code differences. I decided to undo the
PURDUE+ patches until someone posts the right ones.

Eduardo Krell                   AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ

UUCP: {att,decvax,ucbvax}!ulysses!ekrell  Internet: ekrell@ulysses.att.com

eric@eddie.MIT.EDU (Eric Van Tassell) (12/15/88)

Does anyone know what causes the "sequence lost" messages from XlibInt.c?
TIA

eric

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (12/16/88)

In article <14671@lll-winken.llnl.gov> brooks@maddog.llnl.gov (Eugene Brooks) writes:
>...the PURDUE+ speedups are so full of rejected patches that I don't
>dare fix them all by hand.

The only rejections I got were for README, mfbbitblt.c, mfbbres.c,
mfbsetsp.c, and mfbtegblt.c.  They weren't really all that much
trouble to hand-patch, just like the good ole days before lwall's gift
to the world :-).

The performance improvement is impressive.  At least one of our staff
has gone back to X11, even on a 4-Mb Sun-3/50.  Thanks!

brooks@vette.llnl.gov (Eugene Brooks) (12/19/88)

Using the -l option to patch, I managed to get both the PURDUE and the PURDUE+
speedups to take.  Although I was not "blinded" by the results, compiled with
gcc 1.30, the new Xsun was notably faster.