[comp.windows.x] X for 386 Unix

jordan@titn.TITN (Jordan Bortz) (07/06/87)

Does anyone know where I can get XWindows for AT&T's 386/IX
	(aka Bell UNIX, aka Interactive Systems/IX)

Does anyone have a Hercules driver for the aforementioned beast,
and does anyone have a MONITERM driver, too????

		Thanks a lot in advance

				Jordan

Jordan Bortz	Higher Level Software 1085 Warfield Ave  Piedmont, CA   94611
(415) 268-8948	UUCP:	(decvax|ucbvax|ihnp4)!decwrl!sun!dlb!plx!titn!jordan

jr@amanue.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) (07/13/87)

In article <174@titn.TITN>, jordan@titn.TITN (Jordan Bortz) writes:
> Does anyone know where I can get XWindows for AT&T's 386/IX
> 	(aka Bell UNIX, aka Interactive Systems/IX)
>
> Does anyone have a Hercules driver for the aforementioned beast,
> and does anyone have a MONITERM driver, too????

I saw X being demoed at UniForum in January on a 386 at the Microport booth.
My understanding is that the Microport port of UNIX to the 386 and the
Interactive 386 UNIX are one and the same.  So obviously the port of X to this
version of UNIX has already been done, the code exists and is in the can
*somewhere*.  The hardware they were demoing was only EGA resolution, though
-- nothing close to Moniterm resolution.  I have no idea whether Microport
will sell X as a separate product.  I'm not really knowledgeable about X, but
my understanding is that X is either public domain or source is available from
MIT for mighty cheap; presumably some custom drivers are involved, and those
might be proprietary.

Try giving Microport a call.
--
 Jim Rosenberg
     CIS: 71515,124                         decvax!idis! \

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (07/15/87)

In article <230@amanue.UUCP> jr@amanue.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) writes:
>In article <174@titn.TITN>, jordan@titn.TITN (Jordan Bortz) writes:
>> Does anyone know where I can get XWindows for AT&T's 386/IX
>> 	(aka Bell UNIX, aka Interactive Systems/IX)

>I saw X being demoed at UniForum in January on a 386 at the Microport booth.

My notes seem to say that the windows package is from Locus development.
When I was at the booth, they were running two dos sessions on
terminals, one on the screen in a window, flight simulator in another
window, and vi in yet another. All at acceptable speed.

--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)
  {chinet | philabs | sesimo}!steinmetz!crdos1!davidsen

rrs@gssc.UUCP (Russ Sprunger) (12/13/88)

In a recent news response, Pim Zandbergen asked about X implementations for
386 Unix.

>From: sequent!decwrl!uunet.uu.net!mcvax!hp4nl!ctisbv!pim  (Pim Zandbergen)
>Subject: Re: windowing environment for AT&T 386/UNIX
>
>In article <290@lzaz.ATT.COM> hgp@lzaz.ATT.COM (H.PAGE) writes:
>>In article <4893@boulder.Colorado.EDU>, hintz@tramp.Colorado.EDU (HINTZ  THOMAS ANDREW) writes:
>> I have heard rumors about a UNIX windowing environ for 386UNIX.
>> Has anyone else heard about this? I wonder if it uses the vt's?
>>
>>	Ask your AT&T account rep. about:
>>
>>		select code 1331-717: X-win end user sys
>>		select code 1331-718: X-win programmers utility
>
>Maybe it is time for some comparison between the X's for UNIX/386:
>AT&T's X11, Interactive's X11, Enix's X11
>and perhaps the forthcoming X11 for SCO Xenix.
>Bell's X for the W.G.E. card is X10, so I guess that would be
>comparing apples to oranges.
>
>Does anybody have some experience with more then one system?
>What is the current release of each of the systems: X11r2 or X11r3?
>What display devices are supported ?
>How about the prices ?
>How easy or difficult is it to port the sources submitted to comp.sources.x ?
>Is VP/ix supported as a window in X yet ?
>- --
>- --------------------+------------------------------------+---------------------
>Pim Zandbergen      | CTI Software BV                    | Phone: +31 70 542302
>pim@ctisbv.UUCP     | Laan Copes van Cattenburch 70      | Fax:   +31 70 512837
>..!mcvax!ctisbv!pim | 2585 GD The Hague, The Netherlands | Telex: 32133 CTI NL

Graphic Software Systems has been shipping GSS*X/386 for several months.
GSS*X/386 is an implementation of X Version 11.2 running on INTERACTIVE 386/ix.
The following machines, devices and OS releases have been tested and
are known to work with GSS*X/386:

     386/ix:
        Release 1.0.5
        Release 1.0.6

     386 machines:
        Acer 386
        ALR 386
        AT&T 6386
        Compaq 386
        Eltech 386
        NEC PowerMate SX
        NEC PowerMate XL

     EGA Display Controllers:
        IBM EGA                 (640x350x1)
        Compaq EGA              (640x350x1)
        Quadram QuadEGA         (640x350x1, 640x480x1)
        Video Seven VEGA        (640x350x1, 640x480x1)
        Tecmar EGA Master       (640x350x1, 640x480x1, 800x600x1)

     VGA Display Controllers:
        Orchid VGA              (640x480x1)
        VGA Wonder              (640x480x1)
        Genoa VGA               (640x480x1)
        Compaq VGA              (640x480x1)
        IBM VGA                 (640x480x1)

     DGIS Display Controllers:
        TI SDB                  (640x480x4)
        NEC MVA-1024            (1024x768x4)
        Imagraph TGIF 1210-4    (1280x1024x4)

        Note:  GSS*X/386 will work with any DGIS*34010 display
               controller.  All that is required is a std Unix kernel
               driver for the controller.  The above list represents
               those cards with known kernel drivers.

     Input devices:
        Microsoft 2 button (Serial and Inport)
        Mouses Systems PC Mouse (Serial) and compatibles

     Networking:
        TCP/IP via Excelan 205T h/w and EXOS 205 s/w.

GSS*X/386 is available in binary form to developers and in source form
for OEM's.  The single user binary development product lists for $695
in the U.S.  For purchasing binary copies, contact GSS and ask for X Sales
at (503) 641-2200.

GSS*X/386, DGIS, and DGIS*34010 are trademarks of Graphic Software
Systems, Inc.

----------------
Russ Sprunger
Graphic Software Systems
9590 SW Gemini Dr
Beaverton, OR  97005
(503) 641-2200
...!{tektronix,decwrl}!sequent!gssc!rrs

dar@belltec.UUCP (Dimitri Rotow) (12/21/88)

Just a quick follow-up to Russ's notes on X for 386 UNIX's.  I just
want to correct the impression the posting left on some that we're
not interested in x11.

The Bell Tech Blit series of boards all run X.  That we ship X10 as
our present commercial implementation doesn't detract from the numerous
11 efforts on the Blit.   We'll be shipping 11 in the weeks ahead based on
AT&T's own X11 port.   AT&T's stuff, by the way, is hands down the very
best X11 port on Intel processors running System V.  Their XWIN product
is available off the shelf today and is absolutely rock solid.   Even
if you don't have one of our Blit boards, get the AT&T product and run it
on your EGA (ugh!).

The current line of Blits support 1662 x 1200 resolution in monochrome,
and 640 x 480, 1024 x 768, 1024 x 1024 and 1280 x 1024 in color.  The
new "Instant Workstation" unit combines 1662 x 1200 in mono, plus
640 x 480 in color, plus thick and thin Ethernet, plus a mouse port
on the same card.  As well as X it runs TCP/IP, NFS and/or RFS for netstuff.
These things plug into any '386 clone.

- dimitri rotow