[comp.windows.x] X Crashing - What Gives ?????

dymm@b.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (David Dymm) (12/22/88)

We just installed X, R3 in our Sun 3/280.
If we run even a small example that bombs, our display (color)
freezes and we are unable to do anything.
When we log on to another terminal and try
to kill the main "csh" process, the display is still
frozen, but now there is a message printed across
the display next to the login prompt:

"login > kbd: Buffer flushed when overflowed"

Anyone know what is happening??
Can anyone suggest a fix??

Thanks for your help....

David Dymm			Software Engineer

                            *************************************
                            *  Violence is the last refuge of   *
                            *  the incompetent.                 *
                            *                      Hardin       *
                            *************************************

USMAIL: Bell Atlantic Knowledge Systems,
        145 Fayette Street, Morgantown, WV 26505
PHONE:	304 291-9898 (8:30-4:30 EST)
USENET:  {allegra,bellcore, cadre,idis,psuvax1}!pitt!wvucsb!dymm
INTERNET: dymm@b.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu

kochhar@endor.harvard.edu (Sandeep Kochhar) (12/23/88)

In article <196@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> dymm@b.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (David Dymm) writes:

>We just installed X, R3 in our Sun 3/280.
>If we run even a small example that bombs, our display (color)
>freezes and we are unable to do anything.

What do you mean by "small example"?  Are you able to start the
X server via "xinit"?

>"login > kbd: Buffer flushed when overflowed"

Type "kbd_mode -a" (kbd_mode should be with the rest of your X11 executables)

thanks.
sandeep kochhar
email: kochhar@harvard.harvard.edu

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (12/23/88)

In article <196@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu>, dymm@b.cs (David Dymm) writes:
>[killing the "main" csh process causes "login >kbd: buffer flushed..."
>Anyone know what is happening??

Misery loves company...

(Scene: X11R3, fixes 1-3 installed, on Sun-3/160-M's and Sun-3/50-M's
running SunOS 3.4)

Whenever we've had to kill an X server (or the server crashes) it
leaves /dev/console in a bizarre state where it provides an endless
barrage of ^I (tabs) to any process reading it.  This makes getty
fail, causing init to give up on /dev/console ("getty failing,
sleeping").

Rebooting clears the problem, but...  Exiting the server the normal
ways works just fine.

No answers here, just more information.

--
Tad Guy         <tadguy@cs.odu.edu>     Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA