[comp.windows.x] HP Widgets PostScript documentation

jlo@elan.UUCP (Jeff Lo) (12/13/88)

A number of people have asked about the availability of documentation
for the HP X11 widget set (available as part of the user-contributed
software with X11) in a form that can be nicely printed on laser
printers. The existing nroff'ed format does not take advantage of
the capabilities of high-resolution printers and does not contain
such things as the bitmap images showing what the widgets look like.

I have been working with HP to produce a PostScript version of
the documentation for the HP X11 widgets. Troff input for the
documentation is not being made publicly available because of
dependencies on HP internal documentation tools and the Eroff
Desktop Typesetting System from Elan Computer Group, Inc.

This way, users with access to a PostScript printer can print
high-quality copies of the HP X11 widgets documentation without
having to deal with troff, trying to get the right macros, and
trying to port HP's internal documentation tools to your machine.
All that needs be done is to send the files to your printer.

The PostScript files are now available on expo (18.30.0.212) and
hpcvaaz (15.255.72.15) in a compressed tar file. After anonymous
ftp login to expo, cd to contrib and get Xhp.r2doc.ps.tar.Z.
After anonymous ftp login to hpcvaaz, cd to pub/hpXwidgets and
get XwDOC.ps.tar.Z.

Uncompressing and extracting these files will yield a PostScript
file for each chapter, as well as a PostScript file for each
manual page.

				Jeff Lo
				Elan Computer Group, Inc.
				410 Cambridge Avenue, Suite A
				Palo Alto, CA 94306
				(415) 322-2450
				..!{ames,hplabs,uunet}!elan!jlo
--
Jeff Lo
..!{ames,hplabs,uunet}!elan!jlo

axel@coma.UUCP (Axel Mahler) (12/16/88)

In article <393@elan.UUCP> jlo@elan.UUCP (Jeff Lo) writes:

>The PostScript files are now available on expo (18.30.0.212) and
>hpcvaaz (15.255.72.15) in a compressed tar file. After anonymous
>ftp login to expo, cd to contrib and get Xhp.r2doc.ps.tar.Z.
>After anonymous ftp login to hpcvaaz, cd to pub/hpXwidgets and
>get XwDOC.ps.tar.Z.

Its the old story. We have a PostScript printer as well as real
interest in the Xhp stuff. What we don't have is internet access !
I think there are enough X-programmers with PostScript printer access
out there that a posting to comp.sources.x would be justified.

Axel.

--
Axel Mahler, Tech.Univ. Berlin

UUCP: axel@coma.uucp (unido!coma!axel)
BITNET: axel@db0tui62.bitnet

turner@daisy.UUCP (Jim Turner) (12/19/88)

The file Xhp.r2doc.ps.tar.Z is available for uucp downloaded from
both uunet and the West Coast X Archives (daisy). Access the file
ls-lR.Z from daisy for the exact file location. Send me email for
more info on the West Coast X Archives.

p.s. as soon as I get them from uunet, the poskbitmap updates will be
in the archive also.

--
If the Nazi's had television with satellite technology, we'd all
be goose-stepping. Americans are just as suggestible. - Frank Zappa

mikew@tarfoo.wyse.com (Mike Wexler) (12/20/88)

In article <384@coma.UUCP> axel@coma.UUCP (Axel Mahler) writes:
>Its the old story. We have a PostScript printer as well as real
>interest in the Xhp stuff. What we don't have is internet access !
>I think there are enough X-programmers with PostScript printer access
>out there that a posting to comp.sources.x would be justified.
As moderator of comp.sources.x, I have a question for the readers.
Would you like to have documents such as these posted?  If so, what
format should I post them in(troff, PostScript)?
Mike Wexler(wyse!mikew or mikew@wyse.com)    Phone: (408)433-1000 x1330
Moderator of comp.sources.x

mikew@tarfoo.wyse.com (Mike Wexler) (12/20/88)

From the responses I got, I figure I must have been misunderstood.
My question was do people want documentation posted to comp.sources.x.
An example might be the HP Widget documentation.  Another exmample
might be the ICCCM when it becomes available.
The second question I asked, was if I post documentation to
comp.sources.x, what format should it be in, troff, PostScript, or
some other format.

ben@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Benjamin Ellsworth) (12/21/88)

> ... if I post documentation to
> comp.sources.x, what format should it be in, troff, PostScript, or
> some other format.
>
> Mike Wexler(wyse!mikew or mikew@wyse.com)    Phone: (408)433-1000 x1330

In whatever format it is available in, and all formats that it is
available in.  The first (any format) is justified because the
information should be made available ASAP, and distribution shouldn't
have to wait until the format suits the archive.  The second (all
formats) is justified because of the diversity of user environments.
For instance, I do not have reasonable access to a postscript printer,
but I can easily handle troff and nroff (MS, MM, and ME macros).

Benjamin Ellsworth      | ben%hpcvlx@hplabs.hp.com     | INTERNET
Hewlett-Packard Company | {backbone}!hplabs!hpcvlx!ben | UUCP
1000 N.E. Circle        | (USA) (503) 750-4980         | FAX
Corvallis, OR 97330     | (USA) (503) 757-2000         | VOICE
                     All relevant disclaimers apply.

chet@pirate.CWRU.EDU (Chet Ramey) (12/22/88)

In article <100920033@hpcvlx.HP.COM> ben@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Benjamin Ellsworth) writes:
>> ... if I post documentation to
>> comp.sources.x, what format should it be in, troff, PostScript, or
>> some other format.

>In whatever format it is available in, and all formats that it is
>available in.

I could handle the posting of the shortest of all possible formats
(probably the troff one), but not from HP.  Let's remember why the
PostScript was called for in the first place (in this one case, mind you) --
many people, myself included, could not get a clean printed copy of the
original source distribution (the one in -- I think -- MS format, but with
all of HP's special homemade tools to do indexing, table of contents, etc.
that would just NOT BUILD AT ALL).

The other formats should be made available in the archives for just that
reason.

>The first (any format) is justified because the
>information should be made available ASAP, and distribution shouldn't
>have to wait until the format suits the archive.

If there is sufficient disk space at the archive sites, I would like to see
all the possible formats archived.

>The second (all formats) is justified because of the diversity of user
>environments.

Case in point, above.

>For instance, I do not have reasonable access to a postscript printer,
>but I can easily handle troff and nroff (MS, MM, and ME macros).

And I, on the other hand (and many of the people using Berkeley Unix and its
derivatives like Ultrix or SunOS), have no reasonable access to the MM macro
package, but there are three PostScript printers in this building, one right
down the hall.

Chet Ramey			"His efforts in support of this worthy cause
Network Management Group	 were warmly applauded by the doctors; several
Case Western Reserve University	 nurses also gave him the clap."
chet@{cwjcc,pirate}.CWRU.EDU			--  "Weekend Warriors"

earle@mahendo.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Greg Earle) (12/23/88)

Speaking of HP PostScript documentation, could the kind fellow from Elan
please consider doing the same thing for the Xr11 toolkit documentation.
The README claims that one can make the document by one's self, but not
only does one not get the bitmaps that are handled by `eroff', but my
ditroff doesn't know anything about fonts `P' and (especially) `P7', both
referenced heavily in the document.  I have other problems like `troff:
asked for size nn, got nn-[21]' and such, but those are the least of my
worries.  Also, even though it says to use the `mm' macros, I notice that
the paper I get doesn't look (fonts-wise) very much like the HP Widgets
document.  I'd prefer to have the whole thing, looking like it should.

Thanks,

--
	Greg Earle		earle@Sun.COM
	Sun Microsystems	poseur!earle@mahendo.JPL.NASA.GOV