[comp.windows.x] Re^2: Sloooow Arcs and Ellipses in X11R3 on Sun3

paul@torch.UUCP (Paul Andrews) (12/19/88)

keith@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Keith Packard) writes:

>....  The boundaries of the arc are
>defined by the set of points line_width/2 along a normal to the elipse
>from the elipse.  The solution seems an easy one, simply compute an
>equation which describes the boundary, and solve for x in terms of y.

Why can't you use an elliptical DDA for this? Drive two DDA's. one describing
the outer boundary, one the inner and fill the spans between them?

- Paul.

jonah@db.toronto.edu (Jeffrey Lee) (12/24/88)

The R2 miarc.c is ``plug-compatible'' with the R3 code and faster for
wide-line arcs (slightly slower for zero-width arcs).  We have someone
here at UofT[oronto] that has promised to look at the miarc code in
January.  In the meantime, using the R2 code should help.  We also have
some other ``soon-to-be-released'' patches that should speed-up convex
polygons and wide-lines.  Look for them in mid-January.

j.