[comp.windows.x] Andrew Toolkit Installation - HELP !!

dymm@g.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (David Dymm) (12/24/88)

Okay --- either I am really missing something, or the folks
at CMU have some brain damaged Makefiles.

I have X11, R3, and I was trying to compile the "Andrew"
toolkit.  None of the Makefiles work correctly.  Inspection
of the Makefiles reveals hard-coded directory paths.
Am I missing something???  Do I need to edit EVERY Makefile
and correct the paths?  Or what ?????

The "Andrew Toolkit - Release 2" documentation ("README") indicates
that I can move to the "contrib" directory which is "one level above
the top of the andrew tree".  Well, it's not - its two levels.
Then they say that in this "contrib" directory, I can issue
"make AndrewMakefiles".  Nope...  The Makefile in "contrib" does
NOT have an entry "AndrewMakefiles".
Am I missing something or what???

The "README" also says that I can move to the "andrew" directory and
build Andrew in stages.  The first step is to issue "make Makefiles".
Nope again...  The hard-coded paths in the various Makefiles will
make this fail every time.

I would greatly appreciate if someone would come to my rescue and
tell me what I am doing wrong.

Thanks in advance for your help.

David Dymm			Software Engineer

USMAIL: Bell Atlantic Knowledge Systems,
	145 Fayette Street, Morgantown, WV  26505
PHONE:	304 291-2651 (8:30-4:30 EST)
USENET:  {allegra,bellcore, cadre,idis,psuvax1}!pitt!wvucsb!wvucswv!dymm
INTERNET: dymm@b.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu

hans@taeva.UUCP (Hans von Kleist-Retzow) (12/29/88)

In article <197@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> dymm@g.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (David Dymm) writes:
>I have X11, R3, and I was trying to compile the "Andrew"
>toolkit.  None of the Makefiles work correctly.  Inspection
>of the Makefiles reveals hard-coded directory paths.
>Am I missing something???  Do I need to edit EVERY Makefile
>and correct the paths?  Or what ?????

No, You don't need to correct each Makefile manually. Under the
directory ..../toolkits/andrew there exists a directory "config".
In this directory you have to set the paths in <system>.macros, where
"system" can be Sun, Rt, or Vax. You have to install it on of this
systems (look into .../toolkits/andrew/README). Then control the entries
in .../toolkits/andrew/config/andrewenv.h. Then the only thing
you need to do is to call "make World" in the directory .../toolkits/andrew.
I made it on this way and it works.

>The "Andrew Toolkit - Release 2" documentation ("README") indicates
>that I can move to the "contrib" directory which is "one level above
>the top of the andrew tree".  Well, it's not - its two levels.

I also found no directory. I ignored it.

>The "README" also says that I can move to the "andrew" directory and
>build Andrew in stages.  The first step is to issue "make Makefiles".
>Nope again...  The hard-coded paths in the various Makefiles will
>make this fail every time.

"make World" makes all things.

Good luck,
Hans
-------------
--
Hans von Kleist-Retzow, Dipl.-Inform., TA Triumph-Adler AG
Hundingstr. 11b, D-8500 Nuernberg, West-Germany

janssen@titan.sw.mcc.com (Bill Janssen) (12/30/88)

Here's what I had to do to get Andrew compiled:

----
Setting up the environment:

In "andrew/config/andrewenv.h":
	Set LEVEL_ENV to 4.
	Defined X11_ENV.
	DITROFF_ENV defined.  (MCC STP has ditroff in /usr/andrew/bin)
	RESOLVER_ENV defined (though I don't really know!).
	added new var MCC_STP_ENV defined to 1  (for our print commands)

In "andrew/config/Sun.macros":
	XBASEDIR set to "/stp/X11"
	XSRCDIR set to "/stp/src/X11R3"
	DESTDIR set to "/stp/andrew"

In "andrew/atk/support/print.c"
	Added new section of print contants (such as print_PRINTCOMMAND)
	conditionally defined if MCC_STP_ENV is defined.  This tells
	Andrew how to invoke troff.
	Include "andrew/config/andrewenv.h".

In "andrew/atk/ltext/ltext.c"
	Added indentation for "defclass" and "defmethod".

In "andrew/overhead/util/lib/andrewdir.c"
	Set default Andrew root path to "/stp/andrew".

----
Preparing to build

The build instructions assume that andrew is a subdirectory of contrib.
I moved the Imakefile from X11R3/contrib to X11R3/contrib/toolkits, and
removed the references to other subdirectories of X11R3/contrib.

In X11R3/contrib/toolkits/Imakefile, changed

  AndrewMakefiles::
	$(RM) andrew/Makefile.bak
	-$(MV) andrew/Makefile andrew/Makefile.bak
	cd andrew; ../$(IMAKE) -DTOPDIR=. -TImake.template\
		-Iconfig -s Makefile

  AndrewMakefiles::
	$(RM) andrew/Makefile.bak
	-$(MV) andrew/Makefile andrew/Makefile.bak
	cd andrew; $(IMAKE) -DTOPDIR=. -TImake.template\
		-Iconfig -s Makefile

which is just removing the relative location of the imake program.

Used imake to make the Makefile:

  /stp/src/X11R3/util/imake/imake -DTOPDIR=/stp/src/X11R3 \
    -T /stp/src/X11R3/util/imake.includes/Imake.tmpl -s mm

Modified X11R3/contrib/toolkits/andrew/overhead/util/lib/andrewdir.c,
changing the string "/usr/andrew" to "/stp/andrew".  This
defines the default setting of the environment variable ANDREWDIR.

----
Build:

  cd /stp/src/X11R3/contrib/toolkits
  make -f mm AndrewMakefiles
  cd andrew
  make Makefiles
  make World

First error occurred while attempting to build andrew/atk/basics/xfontdesc.o,
in that the file $(XBASEDIR)/include/X11/cursorfont.h was not in place.
Copied it from x11r3/X11/cursorfont.h, and said "make World" again.

Received a number of apparently harmless error messages from the
"make depend" steps, along the lines of "cannot find file foo.eh".

----

That's it!  Good luck.

Bill