[comp.windows.x] using Japanese with X

Greep.AISNorth@XEROX.COM (01/12/89)

What do people do about using Japanese on X?  I installed kterm under
X.V11R3 and it outputs Katakana, Hiragana, and Kanji (using
contrib/fonts/bdf/oldx11/k14.bdf) but as far as I can tell it doesn't have
any way of inputting either kana or Kanji.  Are there any other tools for
handling Japanese under X, using either Xlib directly or one of the
toolkits?

Is there any standard (or at least commonly accepted) way of doing typing
Japanese on a workstation with an ordinary North American keyboard (e.g. a
Sun)?

Any information on this will be appreciated.

Steven Tepper
Envos Corp.
greep.AISnorth@Xerox.COM

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (01/12/89)

The SIGMA group in Japan is certainly working on common mechanisms and
interfaces.  Here's an excerpt from minutes of the Dec 14 advisory meeting
of their X-Window Japanese Version Working Group:

    Narita(Fujitsu) and Mr.Inaba(TOSHIBA) reported that beta test version of
    Japanese language environment, one of outputs of this group,
    which includes Kana-Kanji-conversion system on X window system and its
    application interface was demonstrated by FUJITSU,TOSHIBA,OMRON,NEC
    at UNIX fair '88 ,the most famous exhibition of unix machines held
    in December 7,8 in TOKYO.

I will try to send you a contact name for more information.

tex@wucc.waseda.JUNET (Kamiya Fumiaki) (01/14/89)

In article <890112-001918-11880@Xerox>, Greep.AISNorth@XEROX.COM writes:
> Are there any other tools for
> handling Japanese under X, using either Xlib directly or one of the
> toolkits?
>
> Is there any standard (or at least commonly accepted) way of doing typing
> Japanese on a workstation with an ordinary North American keyboard (e.g. a
> Sun)?

I don't know if there's a library that helps one to enter kanji for X
(and I think there isn't a such thing).  But there is a system called
Wnn that allows one to enter kanji (and of course, hiragana and
katakana) from an ordinary ASCII keyboard provided you have a kanji
terminal.  (Means that it doesn't have to be kterm, any kanji terminal
will do)

Information on this product may be obtained from:
	ASTEC, Inc
	Nagashima Dai-ichi Building
	1-22-12 Dougenzaka, Shibuya
	Tokyo 150 JAPAN