[comp.windows.x] Why MS Windows on X and not vice versa

george@mnetor.UUCP (George Hart) (01/17/89)

In article <8901122212.AA05193@EDDIE.MIT.EDU> smikes@hound.UUCP writes:
>When I first heard of this I gawked "why would anyone want to mimic
>MS Windows in X instead of the other way around?"  I still don't have
>the answer.

Perhaps because MS Windows also embodies a particular look and feel;
one with which existing Windows users are familiar.

In addition, there is an existing application base for MS Windows.
Providing a Windows emulation on X makes it that much easier to broaden
the target market for those applications.

As far as mimicing X on Windows, there already is a product from a
company in the UK (sorry, the name escapes me) that emulates an
X server in an MS Windows window.  The issue here once you have
an MS Windows emulation of the X protocol, then what?  As of yet,
there just isn't that much (any?) X based application software.
--
Regards.....George Hart, Computer X Canada Ltd.

UUCP: {utzoo,uunet}!mnetor!george
BELL: (416)475-8980