[comp.windows.x] comp.sources.x

jmd@ursa.UUCP (Josh Diamond) (01/04/89)

Hey folks!

     What has happened to comp.sources.x?  We used to get the group here,
but it seems to have disappeared.  It did not appear in our most recent
checkgroups message ( 29 Dec 88 21:34:49 GMT ).  If it still exists, could
those of power re-newgroup it please?

					Thanks,

						Josh Diamond

--
Josh Diamond			{philabs.phillips.com, sun.com}!gotham!ursa!jmd
				      ...!{sun, philabs, pyrnj}!gotham!ursa!jmd

ken@unicads.UUCP (Ken Garnett) (01/19/89)

In article <699@share.ursa.UUCP>, jmd@ursa.UUCP (Josh Diamond) writes:
> Hey folks!
>
>      What has happened to comp.sources.x?  We used to get the group here,
> but it seems to have disappeared.  It did not appear in our most recent
> checkgroups message ( 29 Dec 88 21:34:49 GMT ).  If it still exists, could
> those of power re-newgroup it please?

The same thing happened to us!!  However, there are apparently still people
who do get `comp.sources.x' (or at least think they do) -- note the following
article references from the last two weeks:

>From <635@rocksanne.UUCP>, jhs@rocksanne.UUCP (Hans Schlichter):
=> I also attempted to send a copy to x-sources@wyse.com. If
=> I did everything right then it should appear sometime later
=> in comp.sources.x

>From <8901032106.AA02251@intrepid.riacs.edu>, davy@riacs.EDU:
=> I have placed the sources for the X11 version of my xpostit program
=> (Post-it notes for X windows) on expo in contrib/xpostit.tar.Z.  I
=> have also sent it to comp.sources.x; it should show up there real
=> soon now.

>From <9226@ut-emx.UUCP>, mic@ut-emx.UUCP (Mic (... K[a-z]+) Kaczmarczik):
=> I have placed a shell archive with an extended version of
=> XReadBitmapFile() that can read Sun icon and raster image files (as
=> well as X 11 bitmap files) on expo, in contrib/xshow.shar.Z.  I've
=> also submitted the shell archive to comp.sources.x.

>From <8901041502.AA07863@hara.fctunl.rccn.pt>, spa%hara.fctunl.rccn.pt@MITVMA.MIT.EDU (Salvador Pinto Abreu):
=> I've submitted the patches to comp.sources.x (x-sources@wyse.com) and
=> sent a copy to RWS so they'll be placed on expo:contrib/ for ftp.

>From <2382@daisy.UUCP>, turner@daisy.UUCP (Jim Turner):
=> Because of the growing amount of software available for X11R3, I have done
=> a bit of directory reorganizing on the archives. The new top level
=> directories are:
=>
=> sources         archive of comp.sources.x

>From <8901111643.AA01368@intrepid.riacs.edu>, davy@RIACS.EDU:
=> The first set of patches for xpostit is available on expo as
=> contrib/xpostit.patch1.Z, or you can grab a new copy of the tar file.
=> They have also been sent to comp.sources.x.

>From <16591@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV>, casey@lll-crg.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom):
=> | From: Isaac <salzman@rand.org>
=> | Lastly, there is a Newsgroup for the sole purpose of distributing X
=> | sources: comp.sources.x.

>From <2761@stiatl.UUCP>, xwidgets@stiatl.UUCP (Xwidgets library account):
=> All widgets, toolkit extensions, and other code, once verified, will
=> be posted to comp.sources.x. About once a month, a list of new material,
=> a request for widgets, and information about the PDWL will be posted to
=> comp.windows.x.

>From <2762@stiatl.UUCP>, xwidgets@stiatl.UUCP (Xwidgets library account):
=> The source & doc will be available via comp.sources.x, where they will be
=> posted as they are added to the library after testing. Alternatively, I

Anyway, that's enough.... you get the idea.  I, for one, would sure like to
be sure I'm not going to miss some of this stuff -- so what gives???  What
happened to `comp.sources.x' ?!?!?

--
   - Ken Garnett             UUCP: ...!sun!sunpeaks!unicads!ken
     Unicad, Inc.              or: ...!ncar!{sunpeaks|boulder}!unicads!ken

jim@athsys.uucp (Jim Becker) (01/20/89)

From article <324@unicads.UUCP>, by ken@unicads.UUCP (Ken Garnett):
> In article <699@share.ursa.UUCP>, jmd@ursa.UUCP (Josh Diamond) writes:
>> Hey folks!
>>
>>      What has happened to comp.sources.x?

	[ many examples deleted]

>    - Ken Garnett

	I'm not sure what has been happening as of late, but when I
attempted to post two fairly small programs to it in August of last
year the result was that all the rules had to be met before my stuff
would be posted.

	The rules included such things as an imakefile, README,
patchlevel.h, shar format and a few more complexities. Since one
program was only a couple of pages long, and the other was short also,
I didn't see fit to overload the posting with all this stuff. Each
could be built with the cut/paste of a cc line from the initial
comment of the program.

	The resultant action was that my stuff never made it onto the
newsgroup, it is possible that others have also suffered the same
fate.

	I also understand the the moderator, Mike Wexler, is a pretty
busy guy.  So maybe he hasn't gotten the time as of late.

-Jim Becker

mikew@wyse.wyse.com (Mike Wexler) (01/27/89)

In article <699@share.ursa.UUCP>, jmd@ursa.UUCP (Josh Diamond) writes:
> Hey folks!
>      What has happened to comp.sources.x?
The rumours of comp.sources.x's demise have been greatly exaggerated.
I have seen postings by a couple of people that they don't get it
anymore.  If you don't get it, check with your system administrator.
If you are a system administrator and you don't have the group in
your active file, create it.  If your newsfeed doesn't send it to you,
convince them to and/or get a new/additional feed.

In article <228@tityus.UUCP> jim@athsys.uucp (Jim Becker) writes:
>	I'm not sure what has been happening as of late, but when I
>attempted to post two fairly small programs to it in August of last
>year the result was that all the rules had to be met before my stuff
>would be posted.
>	The rules included such things as an imakefile, README,
>patchlevel.h, shar format and a few more complexities. Since one
>program was only a couple of pages long, and the other was short also,
>I didn't see fit to overload the posting with all this stuff. Each
>could be built with the cut/paste of a cc line from the initial
>comment of the program.
Actually, at the time the rules didn't require an Imakefile.  They do
now.  I would like to provide the best service I can to the readers.
Most people I have talked to like the format of the postings.  When I
have time, I often add some of the details like Imakefiles and README
files, but this does delay postings and I don't always do it.
>	The resultant action was that my stuff never made it onto the
>newsgroup, it is possible that others have also suffered the same
>fate.
It was posted to comp.windows.x before a compromise could be made. I
figured it would be redundant to have the article posted to both
newsgroups.
>	I also understand the the moderator, Mike Wexler, is a pretty
>busy guy.  So maybe he hasn't gotten the time as of late.
Actually I've been on the East Coast for the past week(X Technical
Conference), but other than that, I've been posting the submissions
I've gotten with very few exceptions.
If people have any suggestions on how to improve the quality of
comp.sources.x, I would be glad to hear from them either by email
or by phone.

Mike Wexler(wyse!mikew)    Phone: (408)433-1000 x1330
Moderator of comp.sources.x