[comp.windows.x] Help with child positioning in Form widgets

vss@emory.uucp (V.S.Sunderam) (01/24/89)

I would very much appreciate some advice on the following problem:

With a form widget as the parent, it is possible to specify the
positioning of the second & subsequent children relative to previously
created children using the XtNfromHoriz and XtNfromVert resource
attributes (to specify the widget) and XtNhorizDistance and
XtNvertDistance (to specify the distance).

However, this *always* creates children to the right of or below
the reference child. Is it possible to position a new child above or
to the left of the original using these or other widget attributes?

I have already tried negative distance specification.
I am using Athena widgets.

Thanks in advance

~
V.S.Sunderam        | vss@mathcs.emory.edu          PREFERRED
Emory University    | {decvax,gatech}!emory!vss     UUCP
Dept of Math and CS | vss@emory                     NON-DOMAIN BITNET
Atlanta, GA 30322   | Phone: (404) 727-5926
--

kit@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Chris D. Peterson) (01/27/89)

> However, this *always* creates children to the right of or below
> the reference child. Is it possible to position a new child above or
> to the left of the original using these or other widget attributes?

> Thanks in advance

Unfortunatly the Athena form widget does not support this sort of
behavior.

						Chris D. Peterson
						MIT X Consortium /
						Project Athena

Net:	kit@athena.mit.edu
Phone: (617) 253 - 1326
USMail: MIT - Room E40-321
	77 Massachusetts Ave.
	Cambridge, MA 02139

swick@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Ralph R. Swick) (01/31/89)

     Date:  23 Jan 89 20:00:22 GMT
     From:  emory!vss@gatech.edu  (V.S.Sunderam)

     ... XtNhorizDistance and
     XtNvertDistance (to specify the distance).

     ... *always* creates children to the right of or below
     the reference child. Is it possible to position a new child above or
     to the left of the original using these or other widget attributes?

     I have already tried negative distance specification.
     I am using Athena widgets.

Gee, the following two lines added to a resource file seem to do the
right thing to clients/xclipboard (which uses the form widget), when
used in conjunction with the default app-defaults file (XClipboard.ad):

  XClipboard.shell.quit.horizDistance: 100
  XClipboard.shell.erase.horizDistance: -100

Moral: Negative distances should work.  Are you sure you're using X11R3?