[comp.windows.x] 3270 Emulator

jimt@hot_toddy.UUCP (Jim Totte Sun SE - Michigan) (01/18/89)

Has anyone seen/developed/used a 3270 terminal emulator running under X11?
How about under X10?  Any solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim Totte

alex@xicom.xicom (Alex Laney) (01/30/89)

	There doesn't seem to be a 3270 Emulator available yet that is
'native' to X Window, in the marketplace. Lots work under 'xterm', including
my company's (Xicom Technologies). It is really early for this type of
commercial development.

	Hopefully, without breaking any commercial rules about this
mailing list, I can announce here, that Xicom has one under development,
with summertime release date expected. This will be available for the 386
System V R3/R4 Unix (I can hear those hisses up here in Ottawa) marketplace,
so this may still not solve Jim and Peter's needs.

	I'm certain that all our competitors, and the hardware vendors that
provide their own will have one soon, as well.

---
Alex Laney             alex@xicom.UUCP uunet!mitel!sce!xios!xicom!alex
Xicom Technologies,    uunet!mnetor!dciem!nrcaer!xios!xicom!alex
205-1545 Carling Av    Phone: 613-728-9099
Ottawa, Ont. Canada    Fax: 613-728-1134

peter@msdc.UUCP (Peter N. Wan) (01/31/89)

In article <8901180309.AA02120@hot_toddy.detmain.com> jimt@hot_toddy.UUCP (Jim Totte  Sun SE - Michigan) writes:
>Has anyone seen/developed/used a 3270 terminal emulator running under X11?
>How about under X10?  Any solutions would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Jim Totte

I couldn't reply to Jim (hot_toddy is not in my copy of the maps, and I
can't seem to get to hot_toddy.detmain.com), but I have a similar
request.  In addition, I would like to also have the emulator simulate
light pen hits when the user clicks the mouse on a workstation.  I know
that there is a 'tn3270' under 4.3bsd that provides a Telnet interface
to a CMS system, but would like to avoid the overhead of running an
'xterm' to support the 'tn3270' (and 'tn3270' wouldn't do much with mouse
hits, either).

Any pointers will be appreciated.  I'll summarize to the net if
necessary.  Thanks in advance,
	Peter
--
Peter N. Wan						Compuserve: 76667,3564
Medical Systems Development Corporation (MsdC),		Atlanta, Georgia