[comp.windows.x] Was: running X compiled under Ultrix 2.3 on Ultrix 3.0 system

yba@sword.bellcore.com (Mark Levine) (02/05/89)

In article <1840@helios.ee.lbl.gov> bvsmith@lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) writes:
>DEC has done something to the C library to create certain incompatibilities
>between 2.3 and 3.0.

Lots of things; they have also changed vaxuba/qevent.h such that the device
driver to server interface for input events is now incompatible (as Parallax
pointed out for Xplx -- don't build it under 3.0 without using the old
qevent.h).

The DECwindows qd server also seems to run out of resources much more
easily than the MIT server (try tiling the root window with "fullmoon"
from the xroot/bitmaps collection), although it is certainly more
"correct" on other cases.

I have also noticed that the DECwindows xsession seems to die, and that when
I log out, logging back in again may not be possible until I can kill off
remaining related processes (again, the session mgr; the window seems to
disappear, but the process is still running -- it does not seem to notice
that the xterm is gone).  It also drives me crazy that the shell environment
I get from DECwindow's xdm has a term setting of "vt220", a TERM setting of
"vt100", and a menu which says the ID it will send is "dxterm".  I wish I
had sources to see how they do that!  Makes writing your .login exciting!