[comp.windows.x] Xman and fixes

deford@linus.UUCP (Kevin M. Deford) (02/02/89)

I recently grabbed the fixes 1-8 off of expo for X.V11R3.  When I installed
the xman patches, the progra
m refuses to compile with many errors.  I noticed
that someone out there had a similar problem - how was that solved?  Is it
bad patch files or have I got R3 set up wrong.

Thanks in advance,

--
Kevin M. DeFord
Internet: deford@linus.mitre.org; UUCP: {decvax,philabs}!linus!deford

kit@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Chris D. Peterson) (02/07/89)

> I recently grabbed the fixes 1-8 off of expo for X.V11R3.  When I installed
> the xman patches, the program refuses to compile with many errors.  I noticed
> that someone out there had a similar problem - how was that solved?  Is it
> bad patch files or have I got R3 set up wrong.

> Thanks in advance,

You're welcome in advance :-)

NOTE:  There was one other problem with the xman pathes but it turned out
       to be someone attempting to patch the wrong version of xman.

As the author of both xman and the latest version of patches to it, I have
tried to make it work on as many machines as possible.  As alawys, there are
always things that slip through the cracks.  These patches have been
avaliable for almost a month now, and if there were bugs of the magnitude
that you seem to have encountered, I think my mail box would be flooded
with hate mail (1/2 :-).

As things stand currently, I have not received any comments from the net about
xman failing to build, either before or after the new set of patches.  This
leads me to believe that it is most likely something that you did, or you
have an obscure configuration.  I would work under the assumption that somehow
you did something wrong.  If you find this not to be the case, send me personal
mail describing the problem in detail, and your system's configuration.  I
will then try to be of more help.

						Chris D. Peterson
						MIT X Consortium /
						Project Athena

Net:	kit@athena.mit.edu
Phone: (617) 253 - 1326
USMail: MIT - Room E40-321
	77 Massachusetts Ave.
	Cambridge, MA 02139

yba@sword.bellcore.com (Mark Levine) (02/08/89)

For some reason I also had problems with installing the patches to
"xman".  It turns out that there were a large number of reject files
(*.rej) after the first attempt, which produced symptoms described by
the original poster (won't compile, lots of errors).  Perhaps this was
due to earlier problems with another fix, or we each had similar but
different problems.  In any case, I would recommend reinstalling the
application sources from the original sources, then applying only the
relavant patches again -- this fixed xman up for me.

[We need a way to stop the automatic -R option in patch in cases where
things go wrong; staying in sync when a patch is on its way in in half
the source files and on its way out in the other half gets tricky!
Read those output logs.... :-)]

In my case the actual cause was that we had increased the maximum
number of man pages per section (our section 3 was getting full because
we ended up with BOTH expanded and unexpanded names by using make
install and omitting the by-hand follow-up) so that one of the patch
hunks was rejected.  I guess using patch implies no local changes to
source code.

deford@linus.UUCP (Kevin M. Deford) (02/08/89)

It is very possible that I have the wrong version.  I have what came on the
tape.  The configuration is nothing strange - sun3 with just the destinations
changed.  Was the version updated since the tapes were made - around beginning
of december.  Could you shar me the version that you have?

The problem was very similar to the person on the network.  Is it possible that
the version on the tape is incorrect?

-------
	Kevin

(  Eat, Drink, and be Merry - for tomorrow you may be in Utah )

bob@tinman.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (02/08/89)

In article <8902071739.AA00672@mizari.mitre.org> deford@linus.UUCP (Kevin M. Deford) writes:
   It is very possible that I have the wrong version.  I have what
   came on the tape... The problem was very similar to the person on
   the network.  Is it possible that the version on the tape is
   incorrect?

I think I'm that mysterious "person on the network", so let me put
this to rest: I tried to apply the patches to the xman in our master
source area and found that they didn't slip in very smoothly.  After I
screamed loudly in public (red face :-) I looked more closely and
discovered that a local developer had been doing private development
in the master source area.  As soon as I recovered the original
sources from the distribution, I had no problem at all applying the
latest patches from Chris.  That local developer has, hopefully,
learned better source control habits by now...

I am now of the firm belief that (at least in the case of these
particular patches to xman) if you have the clean xman sources from
the X11R3 distribution, you can easily apply the most recent xman
patches (expo.lcs.mit.edu:pub/R3/fixes/fix[567]) and expect them to
build cleanly.

kit@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Chris D. Peterson) (02/08/89)

There is an obvious bug left in xman after patches 5, 6, and 7
have been applied.

"Remove this manpage" still fails

	This is a toolkit problem.  The xman code is fine, it is just
	exercising an Xt (implementation) bug.

There have also been a number of complaints about strange behavior
with -name and -title.

	The way that xman is achieving its multiple top level windows and
	still getting resouces correctly is by having all of its shells be
	popup children of an unrealized parent widget named xman.  This means
	that when you use the -name and -title it changes the name and title
	of this widget (and window).  The -name resource correctly allows
	the resources be retreived with some other name than "xman".
	Unfortunately for those	of you with window managers that have
	title bars the name the window manager sees for the windows are
	"topBox" and "manualPage" the correct way to change this is to add
	the following lines to your resource file:

xman*topBox.Title:	Top Box Name
xman*manualPage.Title:  Manual Page Name

	This seems to work.  You should also be able to specify these on the
	command line using the -xrm syntax.

						Enjoy,

						Chris D. Peterson
						MIT X Consortium /
						Project Athena

Net:	kit@athena.mit.edu
Phone: (617) 253 - 1326
USMail: MIT - Room E40-321
	77 Massachusetts Ave.
	Cambridge, MA 02139

kit@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Chris D. Peterson) (02/08/89)

In article <BOB.89Feb7170028@tinman.cis.ohio-state.edu>,
tinman.cis.ohio-state.edu!bob@ohio-state.arpa (Bob Sutterfield) writes:

> I am now of the firm belief that (at least in the case of these
> particular patches to xman) if you have the clean xman sources from
> the X11R3 distribution, you can easily apply the most recent xman
> patches (expo.lcs.mit.edu:pub/R3/fixes/fix[567]) and expect them to
> build cleanly.

I am also working under this assumption, if you are having problems that you
are sure must be my fault (bad patches), then send me personal mail and I
will try to help you out.  Let's try not to clutter xpert with this particular
problem any more.

						Chris D. Peterson
						MIT X Consortium /
						Project Athena