[comp.windows.x] Misc.h includes

martin@CITI.UMICH.EDU (Martin R. Friedmann) (02/13/89)

I have noticed some fixes which claim to bring software up to X.V11R3
which fail to remove #includes of Misc.h .  I know that this is quite
trivial (as is Misc.h), but still, it has been removed, and I assume that
it should no longer be in peoples /usr/include trees.

As I said, this is trivial.

but it still exists.

Marty.

carlson@aftac.tis.llnl.gov (John Carlson) (02/13/89)

In article <8902130418.AA03030@expo.lcs.mit.edu> martin@CITI.UMICH.EDU (Martin R. Friedmann) writes:

>I have noticed some fixes which claim to bring software up to X.V11R3
>which fail to remove #includes of Misc.h .  I know that this is quite
>trivial (as is Misc.h), but still, it has been removed, and I assume that
>it should no longer be in peoples /usr/include trees.

Since so many widgets sets (MenuBox, Xhp, Xsw, tblwidget)
use this, should it be maintained (as XmuMisc.h?)?  How many
copies of Misc.h should there be?

John Carlson

martin@CITI.UMICH.EDU (02/14/89)

>Since so many widgets sets (MenuBox, Xhp, Xsw, tblwidget)
>use this, should it be maintained (as XmuMisc.h?)?  How many
>copies of Misc.h should there be?

>John Carlson

I don't particularly care.  I just feel pissed everytime someone's #definition
or use of Max or Min (we all know these by heart) gets in the way of real
work.

How about the structure elements in the phigs header file named "max" and
"min".

Face it...  this is C!  There is no single Max or MIN.  No single NULL.  We
should have *lots* of these Miscellaneous header files around to spice up our
lives!  I don't understand what good it is moving the file to XmuMisc.h, you
then have to go through and edit every #include <X11/Misc.h>.  No.  Why don't
we leave it where it was, or HEY! we could #define Max and Min in every single
unfortunate (to have used Max or Min) application's main header file.  Just as
long as it doesn't wind up on ld's sh*t list when not #defined I don't care.

My gripes are not directed at the X community, but rather at C's lack of a
well known "misc.h" or NULL or Max or max or MAX or min even.

I guess that it's all my fault for removing (rming) it from our X11 include
directory as I installed R3.

Marty.