[net.news.group] Net.sources.d and mods to software.

greenber@timeinc.UUCP (Ross M. Greenberg) (07/30/85)

The votes are in:  15 yes, 1 no regarding the following:
(ME)

>I suggest the creation of a net.sources.d.

Some people suggested a similiar newsgroup for other net.sources
newsgroups, including the mac group.  I'd suggest letting the
mac people decide for themselves.

Some of the older news programs have no choice about archiving
all net.source.* groups.  Get the updated programs.

>Additionally, the followup line in a net.sources article should
>be forced to be either net.sources.bugs, or net.sources.d, unless
>the posting in response is by the author themself.

Additionally, it was suggested that there be someway of enforcing
that an original posting only have source in it.  Some mentioned
mechanical methods, but that seems sorta flakey.  I suggest
an additional question in the news software when posting to net.sources:

Is this source code? [n]

If the answer is 'no' then pop it over to net.sources.d

True, we'll get some twits asking for a report on the
entire Xinu package (not a bad idea anyway), but it should drop
WAY down.

Okay...I did the easy part (taking the vote)...could one
of the net.gods create the group?  And what about the
updates to the programs?

Ross M. Greenberg  @ Time Inc, New York
              --------->{vax135 | ihnp4}!timeinc!greenber<---------

I highly doubt that Time Inc.  would make me their spokesperson.
----
"I saw _Lassie_. It took me four shows to figure out why the hairy kid
 never spoke. I mean, he could roll over and all that, but did that
 deserve a series?"

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (08/02/85)

There may well be a need for this group, but I have some difficulty
with seeing 15 votes, given the number of people on the net, as being
an overwhelming call for such a group!  It appears that most people
just don't care.  Can we have a bit more discussion on this before
the creates go ahead?  Thanks much.

--Lauren--

david@ukma.UUCP (David Herron, NPR Lover) (08/03/85)

Ok.  Maybe creating net.sources.d isn't the BEST way to go.  (BTW,
I was one of the 15 who voted FOR).  See, the problem is that by
common use, net.sources has become what we want net.sources.d to BE.

It might be better to create a net.sources.x where x is a number of things.
Like, vms, unix, ibmpc, etc.  And recognize the common usage as defining
the meaning for the group, and redefine net.sources as DISCUSSION of
various kinds regarding the postings in net.sources subgroups.  This
could include your bug reports, your requests for missing sources,
or your quests for new sources.

Or, in a similar vein, ALL source postings can be sent to mod.sources.
(This is already happening to a degree).  And, net.sources could continue
becoming net.sources.d.

The only problem I have with that is my experiences as of a few months ago.
At that time this local branch of the net was arranged differently.
Our site was the far out leaf feeding off people in Cincinnatti.
But, after watching the usage, Cincinatti people decided it would be better
if we fed off Columbus and they fed off of us.  UNTIL THIS HAPPENED
WE RECEIVED NOTHING FROM MOD.ANYTHING.

I wonder if this happens to other sites?
--
--- David Herron
--- ARPA-> ukma!david@ANL-MCS.ARPA

itkin@luke.UUCP (Steven List) (08/03/85)

In article <366@timeinc.UUCP> greenber@timeinc.UUCP (Ross M. Greenberg) writes:
>The votes are in:  15 yes, 1 no regarding the following:
>>I suggest the creation of a net.sources.d.
>I suggest
>an additional question in the news software when posting to net.sources:
>
>Is this source code? [n]
>
>If the answer is 'no' then pop it over to net.sources.d
>
>Okay...I did the easy part (taking the vote)...could one
>of the net.gods create the group?  And what about the
>updates to the programs?

      Before any action is taken  on  this  prayer,  could  we  have  some
      discussion  of net.sources vs. mod.sources?  I have submitted to and
      extracted from mod.sources recently.  Not  only  does  this  provide
      some  coordination  and  consistency,  but  the moderator (thank you
      John) maintains a listing/index of all programs/articles  submitted.
      He also provides a facility for catching up on things you've missed.
      I think that's a pretty significant service.

      Isn't it  time  for  the  demise  of  net.sources  rather  than  its
      expansion?

      Discussion I've read about other groups (most notably from Gene  and
      Chuq  and  Mark)  implies that when a moderated newsgroup is created
      and actually serves the purpose for which  it  was  created,  it  is
      probably time to rmgroup the unmoderated group.

      I'm in favor of separating  the  discussion  and  patches  from  the
      sources,  but  John  does  this admirably in mod.sources.  Let's not
      expand where consolidation should be the order of the day.
--
***
*  Steven List @ Benetics Corporation, Mt. View, CA

itkin@luke.UUCP (Steven List) <295@luke.UUCP>:

>>>I suggest the creation of a net.sources.d.
>>I suggest
>>an additional question in the news software when posting to net.sources:
>>
>>Is this source code? [n]
>>
>>If the answer is 'no' then pop it over to net.sources.d
>>
>>Okay...I did the easy part (taking the vote)...could one
>>of the net.gods create the group?  And what about the
>>updates to the programs?
>
>      Before any action is taken  on  this  prayer,  could  we  have  some
>      discussion  of net.sources vs. mod.sources?  I have submitted to and
>
>      Isn't it  time  for  the  demise  of  net.sources  rather  than  its
>      expansion?
>
>      I'm in favor of separating  the  discussion  and  patches  from  the
>      sources,  but  John  does  this admirably in mod.sources.  Let's not
>      expand where consolidation should be the order of the day.

This is a whole 'nother issue--whether to kill net.sources.  I would suggest
that, while a STRONG campaign be waged to keep as many sources as possible in
mod.sources, that net.sources not be killed till it has actually petered out,
and that for the time being there be a net.sources.d to hasten the petering out
process.  Maybe some net.holy site(s) would have the power to shunt non source
code articles in net.sources over to net.sources.d (either manually or on a
criterion of 50 lines of non-header text or less, accompanied by a cancel of
the original article).  Maybe there would be a way of having net.sources fun-
nel into the mod.sources moderator who would archive them, post in mod.sources,
then cancel the originals or replace with a message of where they are?
|         an engihacker @        |  ployer, my pets, my plants, my boss, or the
| at&t computer systems division |  s.a. of any computer upon which I may hack.
|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------     or: ..!ihnp4!iheds!ttbcad!levy

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) (08/05/85)

In article <295@luke.UUCP> itkin@luke.UUCP (Steven List) writes:
>In article <366@timeinc.UUCP> greenber@timeinc.UUCP (Ross M. Greenberg) writes:
>>Okay...I did the easy part (taking the vote)...could one
>>of the net.gods create the group?  And what about the
>>updates to the programs?
>
>      Before any action is taken  on  this  prayer,  could  we  have  some
>      discussion  of net.sources vs. mod.sources?

While mod.sources is working well and seems like the solution here,
and John is doing an excellent job, he has indicated that he and his
machine would both be overloaded if they were to take on the task of
handling everything that goes into net.sources today.

However, this idea does merit further exploration.  For example, if
there were 3 or 4 moderators for mod.sources, and a poster was urged
to contact their nearest moderator to arrange posting.  Each poster
could keep their separate archives, but cooperate and maintain a
cross-listed index.

If we did this, would there ben any reason to keep net.sources around?

If we do decide to try it out, any volunteers to be one of the moderators?

	Mark Horton

andrew@stc.UUCP (Andrew Macpherson) (08/06/85)

In article <295@luke.UUCP> itkin@luke.UUCP (Steven List) writes:
>      Before any action is taken  on  this  prayer,  could  we  have  some
>      discussion  of net.sources vs. mod.sources?
>
>      Isn't it  time  for  the  demise  of  net.sources  rather  than  its
>      expansion?

I'm afraid there is a rather crass reason for keeping net.sources, at
least on this side of the atlantic.  >> M O N E Y <<.  You see if I
mail my latest snafu-merge prog off for inclusion in mod.sources I have
to pay ( or at least STC in my case ) for the costs of the
inter-continental mail.

On the other hand net.sources is "free" if I'm going to share my
'masterwork', in as much as the costs of trans-atlantic transfers are
shared out betwixt all potential beneficiaries in europe.

Please don't get me wrong, I support whole-heartedly the principle of
mod.sources, and were the economics of the situation any different would
encourage all to use this exellent distribution service.  I do commend
it to everyone on the US/Canadian portion of the net, but cannot
recomend paying more than one's own phone bill for sending off the
might-be-useful.
--
Regards,
	Andrew Macpherson.	<andrew@stc.UUCP>

john@genrad.UUCP (John P. Nelson) (08/07/85)

In article <1366@cbosgd.UUCP> mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) writes:
>While mod.sources is working well and seems like the solution here,
>and John is doing an excellent job, he has indicated that he and his
>machine would both be overloaded if they were to take on the task of
>handling everything that goes into net.sources today.

Well, the reason this is true is because the reliablility of USENET
is so low, that I spend more time sending lost articles to people than
any other moderation task.

>However, this idea does merit further exploration.  For example, if
>there were 3 or 4 moderators for mod.sources, and a poster was urged
>to contact their nearest moderator to arrange posting.  Each poster
>could keep their separate archives, but cooperate and maintain a
>cross-listed index.

I think perhaps this is unworkable.  There needs to be a single point of
origin to provide for a complete article index, if nothing else.
However, it would make my job MUCH easier if there were multiple sites
that kept the mod.sources archive, and would handle retrieval requests!

>If we do decide to try it out, any volunteers to be one of the moderators?

John P. Nelson (decvax!genrad!john) [moderator, mod.sources]

itkin@luke.UUCP (Steven List) (08/07/85)

In article <1366@cbosgd.UUCP> mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) writes:
>For example, if
>there were 3 or 4 moderators for mod.sources, and a poster was urged
>to contact their nearest moderator to arrange posting.  Each poster
>could keep their separate archives, but cooperate and maintain a
>cross-listed index.
>
>If we did this, would there ben any reason to keep net.sources around?

Since Mark responded to my question, it's pretty obvious that I don't think
there is such a need.  I recognize, however, that it might serve as a
good forum for discussion of PD software.

>If we do decide to try it out, any volunteers to be one of the moderators?

Yes, I would.  The only caveat I would post is that I don't have access
to any BSD systems, and won't have access to SVR2 for a month or two.
But I'd love to.  Just think - first look at new software!
--
***

thomas@utah-gr.UUCP (Spencer W. Thomas) (08/08/85)

In article <532@stc-b.stc.UUCP> andrew@stc.UUCP (Andrew Macpherson) writes:
>I'm afraid there is a rather crass reason for keeping net.sources, at
>least on this side of the atlantic.  >> M O N E Y <<.  You see if I
>mail my latest snafu-merge prog off for inclusion in mod.sources I have
>to pay ( or at least STC in my case ) for the costs of the
>inter-continental mail.

Would it be possible to get a mod.sources moderator on the Europe side?
I think there are a couple of other groups that have dual moderators, so
technically it must be possible.  This would reduce the money problem to
sending mail to a European site, which must be cheaper.

--
=Spencer   ({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas@utah-cs.ARPA)
	"You don't get to choose how you're going to die.  Or when.