[comp.windows.x] X.V11R3 and Apollo

RJOHNS%BNR.CA@MITVMA.MIT.EDU (Richard Johns, R.) (02/17/89)

In article <8902101826.AA08376@apollo.UUCP>, bowbeer@APOLLO.COM (Joe Bowbeer)
writes:

>             Now you get some ANSWERS!
>
> ----------
>   ... cpp doesn't work in sr9.7.
>   This means you can't run imake ....

Thanks for clearing that up.  Actually, I had asked that if anyone had gotten
the cpp found in /util to work on Apollo SR9.7, would they post the necessary
steps.  Yes, you can compile the X tree without imake, although it's clumsier.
And you can get the ADUS tape, when ADUS gets around to providing it for a new
X release.

However, imake is still useful to compile anything else.  How many times have
you seen the word 'imakefile'?  Do you appreciate that a lot of software can't
be used easily on Apollos because an imakefile is provided but no makefile?
Accept two facts: imake is very useful, and Apollo's reputation suffers when
they shrug off the needs of their customers.

>   The good news is that cpp works in sr10.

That is good news.  However, I understand it still has some quirks, and one
would think that such a fundamental tool would work in SR9.7.  When all of our
vendors (including Apollo) port all of their software to SR10 we'll be happy to
take advantage of it.  I suppose by the time that happens, SR10.2 will be out
and we'll have fewer new bugs to worry about.

So, anyway, does anyone know how to get cpp to run on Apollo SR9.7?

Rick Johns
rjohns@bnr.ca

These opinions are mine and not necessarily those of my employer.  However,
a lot of Apollo customers probably share them.