[comp.windows.x] gcc 1.33

ed%zaphod@GARGOYLE.UCHICAGO.EDU (Ed Friedman) (02/14/89)

Has anyone successfully compiled X11R3 with all the fixes and the Purdue 2
speedups using gcc-1.33, or has gcc-1.31 been the only one to work?

Ed Friedman
ed@zaphod.uchicago.edu

earle@MAHENDO.JPL.NASA.GOV (Greg Earle) (02/18/89)

In article <8902140050.AA12991@zaphod.uchicago.edu> Ed Friedman writes:
>Has anyone successfully compiled X11R3 with all the fixes and the Purdue 2
>speedups using gcc-1.33, or has gcc-1.31 been the only one to work?

Yes (Purdue 2.1 as well as 2.0; fixes 1-8; gcc 1.33), on a Sun-3 platform.
It required 2 (or possibly 3) bug fixes to gcc 1.33 files from RMS to work.

Seems to work just fine; nothing I've run (Core stuff) has gratuitously
crashed or exhibited strange anti-social behavior (yet (^: ) ...  tested on
both a monochrome Sun-3/160, and a color Sun-3/260C.  Yes, paging through
text in 65-line color xterms isn't exactly `fast'; that's true.  And I saw
something close to anti-social behavior only once; I brought up a plain
black-on-white `xedit' window and typed some text in it, then positioned the
cursor in the middle of said text, and started typing in more gibberish.  The
insertion rate for the new text rivalled 300 baud (^:  Otherwise, nothing out
of the ordinary.

	- Greg Earle
	  Sun Los Angeles - JPL on-site Software Support
	  poseur!earle@Sun.COM
	  earle@mahendo.JPL.NASA.GOV	(Guest account)