[comp.windows.x] X11R3 xedit on Sun 4 with SunOS 4.0

bilmes@icsia4.berkeley.edu (Jeff Bilmes) (02/12/89)

Has anyone had problems running xedit on a sun 4 under SunOS 4.0?
When compiled, all I get is a program that immediately seg faults.
I have no problems on a Sun 3/<anything> with SunOS 3.5.
Thanks.

				-- Jeff
 Jeff Bilmes        arpa: bilmes@icsi.berkeley.edu
                    uucp: ...!ucbvax!icsi!bilmes

zador-anthony@CS.YALE.EDU (anthony zador) (02/18/89)

Well, my xedit seems to work ok, though i dont use it much.
However, I cant get GNUPLOT to work, except through a Tektronics
emulating window.

zador@yalecs

earle@MAHENDO.JPL.NASA.GOV (Greg Earle) (02/18/89)

In article <27992@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> Jeff Bilmes writes:
>Has anyone had problems running xedit on a sun 4 under SunOS 4.0?
>When compiled, all I get is a program that immediately seg faults.
>I have no problems on a Sun 3/<anything> with SunOS 3.5.
>Thanks.

I wonder if this is a problem with the Scrollbar widget; I have a friend
who is using R3 on a Sun-4 running SunOS 4.0, and when he brings up xmh
it comes up as well, but when he tries to do something it also dies with
SIGSEGV.  Perhaps these are related?  His R3 was compiled with Sun `cc',
not GNU `gcc' for reference ...

	- Greg Earle
	  Sun Los Angeles - JPL on-site Software Support
	  earle@Sun.COM

corbet@stout.ucar.edu (Jonathan Corbet) (02/20/89)

earle@MAHENDO.JPL.NASA.GOV (Greg Earle):
>I wonder if this is a problem with the Scrollbar widget; I have a friend
>who is using R3 on a Sun-4 running SunOS 4.0, and when he brings up xmh
>it comes up as well, but when he tries to do something it also dies with
>SIGSEGV.

This problem is the result of a bug in the X toolkit.  It is fixed in one of
the early fixes put out by MIT.  I have been using R3 on my Sun 4 for some
time now with no problems.

Jonathan Corbet
National Center for Atmospheric Research, Field Observing Facility
corbet@stout.ucar.edu