From: ggm@brolga.cc.uq.oz (0    Cl   1)
Newsgroups: comp.windows.x
Subject: Building X on PC/RT with apa16 screen
Date: 21 Feb 89 03:39:50 GMT

I.m posting this to the group direct because the author of the XV11R3
port to PC/RT's doesn't appear to be net-visible, and others may be sharing
the problems.

In order to build either this or the previous release I have had to do
the following, which is not documented (as far as I can see) in either README
or in .macros or in installation notes:

	(1)	define a global -DIBMRTPC which enables various RT-specific
		features of the /usr/include sourcetree, especially screen
		and mouse related ones.

	(2)	disable references to "bounds" in bsdInitEmul.c, because my
		release of 4.3bsd does not appear to understand this concept

Having done this, I finally got an R3 server which would run 1 window, but
very quickly broke down for multiple instances, generally scrambling the
screen for all but the initial window, and failing to re-paint the screen on
window moves, menu creation etc etc. I appeared able to make the top or bottom
half of the screen "disappear" almost at will.

I succeeded in building an R3 server combined with the X11R2 ibm code, after
some butchery.  This displayed the same behaviour which makes me suspect
the problem also involves "portable" changes like backing store.

the X11R2 server runs fine, but cannot understand the new divorcing of font
name and fontfilename, so I can't use xdm and any of the other fancy stuff.

I intend trying to reverse-port the snf changes and seeing if that enables
the features when inserted into R2 code from R3.

If anyone has any information on how to overcome the RT apa16 problems which
the author notes in the README for R3 I'd be very greatful for details.

	-george

--
ACSnet: ggm@brolga.cc.uq.oz                    Phone: +61 7 377 4079
Postal: George Michaelson, Prentice Computer Centre

----- End Included Message -----