[comp.windows.x] Console xterms

tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (02/23/89)

for X11R3:

How can a program tell if it's running under a console xterm (ie xterm -C)
versus a normal xterm?

Ted Kim                           ARPAnet: tek@penzance.cs.ucla.edu
UCLA Computer Science Department  UUCP:    ...!ucbvax!cs.ucla.edu!tek
3804C Boelter Hall                PHONE:   (213) 206-8696
Los Angeles, CA 90024             ESPnet:  tek@ouija.board

jch@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Jeffrey C Honig) (02/23/89)

In article <20873@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> tek@CS.UCLA.EDU () writes:
>How can a program tell if it's running under a console xterm (ie xterm -C)
>versus a normal xterm?

This may not be what you want, but I tailor my environment by defining a
unique name for my console window.  I use xprop in my .cshrc to set the
window name into the environment so I can check it in my .login to
determine if I should set biff y or n.

.cshrc:
if ($?WINDOWID) then
	eval setenv `xprop -id $WINDOWID -notype -f WM_NAME 8s ' $0' WM_NAME`
endif

.login:
if ($?WM_NAME) then
	if ("$WM_NAME" == "Console") then