[comp.windows.x] New Graphon X terminal at 9600 baud over modem

WOOD@SMITHKLINE.COM ("Bill Wood, Upper Merion IS X5163 L331") (02/22/89)

In article <DANA.89Feb21094308@dino.bellcore.com> dana@dino.bellcore.com (Dana A. Chee) writes:
>In article <2566@antique.UUCP> hpk@antique.UUCP (Howard Katseff) writes:
>> [various questions about SLIP and X]
>I have a 9600 baud SLIP line from home, so I can give you a brief
>summary of what to expect ... NOTHING!!.  9600 is WAY too slow to run
>X over.  I have tried to run clients on the office machines, while
>using my home machine as the display.  Its painful!  The windows paint
>in little bursts, which makes you think you have a 300 baud modem.

>For a summary, it would be very slow going, X was designed for a high
>speed network.

I use X at 9600 baud all the time, and the response is fabulous!  My secret
is the new Graphon X terminal.  This terminal uses a Graphon protocol to
communicate with the host computer, so it avoids the 3 layers of protocol
inherent in X over SLIP (you have the X protocol, the SLIP protocol, and the
TCPIP protocol).  The Graphon communicates directly with an X server running
on a Unix machine.  Right now I am connected to a 9600 baud Microcom modem,
which is dialed in to work;  there it connects to another modem, thence
to a Dec terminal server running LAT protocol.  From there, I am connected
to another terminal server which is offering the serial port on a Sun 3 as
a service.  The Sun, in turn, is running Graphon's X server.  I have an
xterm session, and from it I did an rlogin to our Vax system, and sent this
message.

You have to try this terminal to believe it.  ICO runs like a bat out of hell!
And there are virtually no memory restrictions, since the server is on the Sun.

- Bill Wood           wood@smithkline.com

tim@ora.UUCP (Tim O'Reilly) (02/24/89)

Who and where is Graphon?
--
Tim O'Reilly (617) 527-4210 or (800) 338-NUTS
O'Reilly & Associates, Inc., Publishers of Nutshell Handbooks

aparisi@BBN.COM (Anthony Parisi) (02/27/89)

GraphOn is:

GraphOn Corporation
67 S. Bedford St.
Suite 400 W.
Burlington, MA 01803
(617) 229-5829

Tony Parisi
BBN Software Products

klee@daisy.UUCP (Ken Lee) (02/28/89)

There's an article discussing the GraphOn and several other X terminals
in the Feb., 1989 issue of *Mini-Micro Systems*.  GraphOn Corp. is
located in San Jose, California.  The GraphOn OptimaX 200 terminal will
reportedly be formally introduced at Uniforum this week.

Ken Lee
--
klee@daisy.uucp
Daisy Systems Corp., Interactive Graphics Tools Dept.

yba@sword.bellcore.com (Mark Levine) (02/28/89)

In article <1451@ora.UUCP> tim@ora.UUCP (Tim O'Reilly) writes:
>Who and where is Graphon?

I have:

	GraphOn Corp.
	1980 Concourse Drive
	San Jose, CA

I think of them as a graphics terminal maker.  Sorry I lost the zip code.
I only saw the earliest attempts to get the Sun4 version of the X server up,
or I'd throw in details.  [If you find this isn't the address, let me know!
It would explain where my paperwork got lost...]