[comp.windows.x] Sun386i & X -- Keyboard anomaly?

newton@kahuna.UUCP (Mike Newton) (01/13/89)

Has anyone else using a Sun386i to run X11.R3 noticed that double
(sometimes triple) characters are much more common?  Please send
a note to me, as the Sun Tech people need more info.

Currently the only way that it is possible to use X is with
key repeat off.

Thanks,
- mike

--
Mike Newton				Caltech Submillimeter Observatory
ex-communicated Pasadena President,	POB 4339 / Hilo HI 96720

Mail:			newton@csvax.caltech.edu
Which is forwarded to: 	kahuna!newton@csvax.caltech.edu
UUCP			cit-vax!kahuna!newton

	"Reality is a lie that hasn't been found out yet..."

rob@daisy.UUCP (Rob Posadas) (01/18/89)

In article <171@kahuna.UUCP> newton@kahuna.UUCP () writes:

>Has anyone else using a Sun386i to run X11.R3 noticed that double
>(sometimes triple) characters are much more common?  Please send

Yes, we are running X11R3 on sun 386i and this is definitely a problem
we have seen.

The problem is the default setting for AUTOREPEAT_INITIATE in
server/ddx/sun/sun.h.  AUTOREPEAT_INITIATE controls how long you
must hold down a key before autorepeat kicks in.  Right off the
tape, AUTOREPEAT_INITIATE is set to 200 (milliseconds), but we
determined 300 to be a more optimal number.
--
            Rob Posadas -- Daisy Systems Corp
            700 E. Middlefield Rd.

rbj@NAV.ICST.NBS.GOV (Root Boy Jim) (02/28/89)

? From: kahuna!newton@csvax.caltech.edu  (Mike Newton)

? Has anyone else using a Sun386i to run X11.R3 noticed that double
? (sometimes triple) characters are much more common?  Please send
? a note to me, as the Sun Tech people need more info.

? Currently the only way that it is possible to use X is with
? key repeat off.

Yes and no. I observe the same problem on a Sun 3/180, SunOS 3.5, X11R3.

? Mike Newton				Caltech Submillimeter Observatory
? ex-communicated Pasadena President,	POB 4339 / Hilo HI 96720
? Beach Bums Anonymous			808 935 1909 (but not in the mornings)

? Mail:			newton@csvax.caltech.edu
? Which is forwarded to: 	kahuna!newton@csvax.caltech.edu
? UUCP			cit-vax!kahuna!newton

	Nilbert T Bignum <rbj@nav.icst.nbs.gov>