[comp.windows.x] texx2.7

grunwald@FLUTE.CS.UIUC.EDU (Dirk Grunwald) (02/25/89)

Hi, texx2.7 is finished & installed in the normal places. Diffs w.r.t 2.6
are available.

This version fixes several problems that caused core dumps. I was being
sloppy about zeroing variables, used to indicate that something had
been freed already.

Also, the annoying problem of displaying font names when using high
optimization has been found & fixed. It was related to using two
instances of the macro ``mgetbyte'' on a single line. I compiled it
with gcc 1.33, -finline-functions -fstrength-reduce & it works.

Dana Chee fixed several toolkit related problems & layout is much nicer.

You can also specify a filename on the command line if you like.

Dirk Grunwald
Univ. of Illinois
grunwald@flute.cs.uiuc.edu

ssroy@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Steve Scot Roy) (02/26/89)

In article <8902250212.AA15587@flute.cs.uiuc.edu> grunwald%flute.cs.uiuc.edu@a.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>Hi, texx2.7 is finished & installed in the normal places. Diffs w.r.t 2.6
>are available.

Sorry, but I'm new here.  Where are the normal places for this?

grunwald@flute.cs.uiuc.edu (Dirk Grunwald) (03/01/89)

In article <6643@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> ssroy@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Steve Scot Roy) writes:

   In article <8902250212.AA15587@flute.cs.uiuc.edu> grunwald%flute.cs.uiuc.edu@a.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

   >Hi, texx2.7 is finished & installed in the normal places. Diffs w.r.t 2.6
   >are available.

   Sorry, but I'm new here.  Where are the normal places for this?

Sorry, that's:

	expo.lcs.mit.edu: contrib/texx2.8
	a.cs.uiuc.edu   : pub/TeX/texx2.8

also, if any X server wizard wants to fritter away their copious
amounts of idle time, I have a self-contained package that reads `pk'
fonts into PADGLYPHWIDTHBYTES-wide structures, although it doesn't do
word/byte/bit swapping yet.

The intent is that someone well meaning person could make the X
server grok the `PK' font format, which is machine-independent, very
compact and reasonably quick to unpack.

It some kind soul would like to waste...er..spend their time doing
this, just speak up.

Likewise, if anyone has any suggestions/patches to texx2, please don't
hesitate to mail. 2.9, whenever it is released will free you from
having to flip between two windows (pages stay up between opens &
there's a `reopen' button in the page window). Also, it correctly
compensates for scrollbar widths (by looking in ViewPortP.h).

The only outstanding problem is that I need to use the FontStruct
information to compute the actual widths of each glyph that's layed
down to improve the accumulated rounding error in glyph placement ( I
hadn't realised this was possible without querying the server )
--
Dirk Grunwald
Univ. of Illinois