[comp.windows.x] X font for the farsighted ??

newton@kahuna.UUCP (Mike Newton) (01/28/89)

Hi -- My eyes dont like working close to a computer screen, so i've been
trying to get a decent (aprox.) 16 point font (fixed width) font for X11 R3.

So far i've tried:
	fg-16 (not too good)
	vt2bdf screen.b.16 (ie: converting the sun bold 16point font --
		this looks pretty bad, as the conversions dont go to well)
	vf2bdf screen.r.16 (this looked rather nice, but is too 'faint').

I've been using the last choice so far, but would really enjoy / appreciate
a font that looks a little darker than this.  Anyone have any good hints?

- mike
--
Mike Newton				Caltech Submillimeter Observatory
ex-communicated Pasadena President,	POB 4339 / Hilo HI 96720

Mail:			newton@csvax.caltech.edu
Which is forwarded to: 	kahuna!newton@csvax.caltech.edu
UUCP			cit-vax!kahuna!newton

	"Reality is a lie that hasn't been found out yet..."

rbj@NAV.ICST.NBS.GOV (Root Boy Jim) (03/02/89)

? From: kahuna!newton@csvax.caltech.edu  (Mike Newton)

? Hi -- My eyes dont like working close to a computer screen, so i've been
? trying to get a decent (aprox.) 16 point font (fixed width) font for X11 R3.

? So far i've tried:
? 	fg-16 (not too good)
? 	vt2bdf screen.b.16 (ie: converting the sun bold 16point font --
? 		this looks pretty bad, as the conversions dont go to well)
? 	vf2bdf screen.r.16 (this looked rather nice, but is too 'faint').

? I've been using the last choice so far, but would really enjoy / appreciate
? a font that looks a little darker than this.  Anyone have any good hints?

How about hacking xmag to do the

? Mike Newton				Caltech Submillimeter Observatory
? ex-communicated Pasadena President,	POB 4339 / Hilo HI 96720
? Beach Bums Anonymous			808 935 1909 (but not in the mornings)

? Mail:			newton@csvax.caltech.edu
? Which is forwarded to: 	kahuna!newton@csvax.caltech.edu
? UUCP			cit-vax!kahuna!newton

? 	"Reality is a lie that hasn't been found out yet..."

	Nilbert T Bignum <rbj@nav.icst.nbs.gov>
	NTSI: Never Twice the Same Institute

rbj@NAV.ICST.NBS.GOV (Root Boy Jim) (03/02/89)

Hit the wrong key again, and *posted* rather than *killed* the buffer.
Oh well, might as well finish what I had to say:

How about hacking xmag to do the whole screen and then only
drawing in the middle? :-)

Now you see why I wanted to kill the message. Too stupid to be funny.

? Mike Newton				Caltech Submillimeter Observatory
? ex-communicated Pasadena President,	POB 4339 / Hilo HI 96720
? Beach Bums Anonymous			808 935 1909 (but not in the mornings)
                                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Out on the beach, eh? --------------------------------|||||||||||||||||||||||

	Nilbert T Bignum <rbj@nav.icst.nbs.gov>
	NTSI: Never Twice the Same Institute

dcmartin@CS.WISC.EDU ("David C. Martin") (03/02/89)

I put some fonts which I find ``nice'' on cheddar.cs.wisc.edu for public
ftp in the file courier.tar.Z.  These are fonts which I made under SunView
and now enjoy under X11 (sorry, but they don't have the nice descriptive
names ala X11, perhaps someone could figure out what they should be).

dcm

ps. cheddar is 128.105.2.113

yong@metasoft.UUCP (Yongdeng Chen) (03/03/89)

In article <8903012040.AA04939@cheddar.cs.wisc.edu>, dcmartin@CS.WISC.EDU ("David C. Martin") writes:
> I put some fonts which I find ``nice'' on cheddar.cs.wisc.edu for public
> ftp in the file courier.tar.Z.

Could some kind soul e-mail me a copy of it?  I don't have access
to ftp.

Thanks in advance!!!
yong%metasoft@bbn.com

Yongdeng Chen