[comp.windows.x] [mc]aking portable projects

meo@stiatl.UUCP (Miles O'Neal) (03/06/89)

In article <315@harrier.ukc.ac.uk> mtr@ukc.ac.uk (M.T.Russell) writes:
>In article <8903040041.aa11101@SPARK.BRL.MIL> mike@BRL.MIL (Mike Muuss) writes:
>We have a scheme for building binaries for multiple architectures in a
>single source tree which I haven't seen described elsewhere.  We have
>a make variable (M) set to a name for the architecture/OS combination,
>which is then used in the makefile to name the architecture specific
>object (.o) files and binaries.

I have done the same sort of thing, but since we only made binaries
for each architecture on a system of that architecture, we cleaned up
a little more and added a file at the top of our tree called OS, which
contained System_V, ForPro, 4.2, or whetever; this was catted into the
OS variable (your M), and used from there on. This also gave us more
portable shell scripts (for things that used [lp|lpr], etc).

-Miles