[comp.windows.x] Xtrek on SUN 4/110

fuller@isctsse.UUCP (Bill Fuller) (03/03/89)

	I found out why xtrek would not  work on my 4/110, and thought I
would pass it on in case anyone else finds the similar bug.  We  had not
installed the shared memory modules in our Kernal, and therefore were unable
to run anything that used shared memory.

			Bill F.

jas@hpihoah.HP.COM (Jeff Schmidt) (03/04/89)

>                                                             We  had not
>installed the shared memory modules in our Kernal, and therefore were unable
>to run anything that used shared memory.

>			Bill F.

The shared memory is only required on the xtrek server machine.  It is the
communication mechanism used among the central 'daemon' program and the per
user 'xtrek' process.  If you can establish one system to act as the server,
then you're all set.  You won't need shared memory on all the X servers.

Jeff Schmidt
Hewlett-Packard Co.
Cupertino, CA

esj@manatee.cis.ufl.edu (Eric S. Johnson) (03/06/89)

Let me point out that a new version of xtrek is out, and it does
not require shared memory. Im not sure where I ftp'ed it from, but
the README is signed:

	ddickey@unix.eta.com

I know it works just peachy on sun's OS 3.5/4.0.1, under X11R3 + patch 1-8
and purdue 2.0 and 2.1 speedups. Server and client compiled with gcc1.31.
Oh, and we also compiled the client on a RT running AOS with pcc.
With other config's, your mileage may vary..

Ej

davem@mondo.StPaul.MN.US (David R. Marquardt) (03/07/89)

In article <19882@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> esj@manatee.cis.ufl.edu (Eric S. Johnson) writes:
>Let me point out that a new version of xtrek is out, and it does
>not require shared memory. Im not sure where I ftp'ed it from, but

Try the ~ftp/pub on nic.mr.net, 192.12.250.5.

	Dave