[comp.windows.x] awm/xterm problem

dona@ncr-fc.FtCollins.NCR.COM (Don Allingham) (03/01/89)

Has anyone experienced a problem with xterm while running under awm?  Most of
the time that I start up an xterm window, the first line of text sent to the
window appears vertically in column 1.  After the first line, everything else
is ok.  I am running a SUN 3/60 with SunOS 4.0.1, with awm patchlevel 8
(X11r3).  This problem does not occur when I run uwm.

Any ideas?  Thanks.

Don Allingham
NCR Microelectronics
Ft. Collins CO
(303) 223-5100 x378

tom@ICASE.EDU (Tom Crockett) (03/02/89)

> *Excerpts from xpert: 28-Feb-89 awm/xterm problem Don Allingham@boulder.co*
> *(455)*

> Most of > the time that I start up an xterm window, the first line of text
> sent to the > window appears vertically in column 1.

Well, I don't get the first line vertically, I usually just get the last
character from the first line in the upper left-hand corner.  The rest of the
first line is lost.  I'm also running awm at patchlevel 08, but on a Sun 3/50
under SunOS 3.5.

_Tom Crockett_

*ICASE*
Institute for Computer Applications in Science and Engineering

         M.S. 132C                               e-mail:  tom@icase.edu
         NASA Langley Research Center            phone:  (804) 864-2182
                              Hampton,  VA  23665

dce@stan.UUCP (David Elliott) (03/02/89)

In article <198@ncr-fc.FtCollins.NCR.COM> dona@ncr-fc.UUCP (Don Allingham) writes:

>Has anyone experienced a problem with xterm while running under awm?  Most of
>the time that I start up an xterm window, the first line of text sent to the
>window appears vertically in column 1.  After the first line, everything else
>is ok.  I am running a SUN 3/60 with SunOS 4.0.1, with awm patchlevel 8
>(X11r3).  This problem does not occur when I run uwm.

This is a known problem.  It turns out that there is a short period of
time between the time that the xterm starts and the time that it knows
how large the window is, and during this time, the size is 1x1.  This
happens in awm due to the fact that it "reparents" the windows, and
since uwm doesn't do this, it doesn't have the problem.

You can stop it from showing up in csh windows by putting a sleep
command (I used "sleep 10" when I was experimenting) in your .cshrc,
but that's only a stopgap.  I've just gotten used to the fact that
most of my windows start out with the character '>' (the last character
of my prompt) at the top instead of the entire login sequence.

I talked to Jordan Hayes about this last fall, and at that point he had
no solution.

--
David Elliott		...!pyramid!boulder!stan!dce
"Splish splash, I was rakin' in the cash"  -- Eno

becker@CS.ROCHESTER.EDU (Tim Becker) (03/02/89)

   Has anyone experienced a problem with xterm while running under
   awm?  Most of the time that I start up an xterm window, the first
   line of text sent to the window appears vertically in column 1.
   After the first line, everything else is ok.  I am running a SUN
   3/60 with SunOS 4.0.1, with awm patchlevel 8 (X11r3).  This problem
   does not occur when I run uwm.

I just compiled the new version of awm (patchlevel 9).  I don't have
this problem anymore.  Xterm startup is speedier too!

Tim Becker.
becker@cs.rochester.edu

dce@stan.UUCP (David Elliott) (03/08/89)

In article <MY31L0z0-cs2FeqMIo@icase> tom@ICASE.EDU (Tom Crockett) writes:
>> Most of > the time that I start up an xterm window, the first line of text
>> sent to the > window appears vertically in column 1.

I just compiled and installed awm patchlevel 9 as posted recently,
and this problem has been fixed.

One other thing that has been "fixed" is that the borders on applications
like xclock and xbiff are no longer hilited when the cursor enters
their area.  Instead, they are a gray stipple.