[comp.windows.x] problems compiling R3 on 4/280

ndd@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Ned D. Danieley) (02/19/89)

I just tried to compile X11R3 on a Sun 4/280 running SunOs 4.0, using
gcc 1.31. Several modules failed compilation with signal 11 or signal
6 (lib/X/GetPRoot.c, server/dix/colormap.c, server/ddx/mi/milines.c,
etc.). I have applied patches 1 through 8, and the Purdue 2.0 speedups.
I didn't have any trouble on my 3/280 running 3.5.

Has anyone else seen this? If so, how can I get around it? Is gcc 1.33
useful?

Ned Danieley (ndd@sunbar.mc.duke.edu)
Basic Arrhythmia Laboratory
Box 3140, Duke University Medical Center
Durham, NC  27710
(919) 684-6807 or 684-6942

ndd@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Ned D. Danieley) (02/28/89)

In article <13578@duke.cs.duke.edu>, ndd@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Ned D. Danieley) writes:
> I just tried to compile X11R3 on a Sun 4/280 running SunOs 4.0, using
> gcc 1.31. Several modules failed compilation with signal 11 or signal
> 6 (lib/X/GetPRoot.c, server/dix/colormap.c, server/ddx/mi/milines.c,
> etc.). I have applied patches 1 through 8, and the Purdue 2.0 speedups.
> I didn't have any trouble on my 3/280 running 3.5.
>
> Has anyone else seen this? If so, how can I get around it? Is gcc 1.33
> useful?

I haven't seen an answer to this yet, so I'll try again. Has anyone
succeeded in compiling R3 with the Purdue 2.0 speedups on a Sun 4
running 4.0 with any version of gcc?

Ned Danieley (ndd@sunbar.mc.duke.edu)
Basic Arrhythmia Laboratory
Box 3140, Duke University Medical Center
Durham, NC  27710
(919) 684-6807 or 684-6942

jdi@sparky.UUCP (John Irwin) (03/01/89)

Your message:

   ) writes:
    > I just tried to compile X11R3 on a Sun 4/280 running SunOs 4.0, using
    > gcc 1.31. Several modules failed compilation with signal 11 or signal
    > 6 (lib/X/GetPRoot.c, server/dix/colormap.c, server/ddx/mi/milines.c,
    > etc.). I have applied patches 1 through 8, and the Purdue 2.0 speedups.
    > I didn't have any trouble on my 3/280 running 3.5.
    >
    > Has anyone else seen this? If so, how can I get around it? Is gcc 1.33
    > useful?

    I haven't seen an answer to this yet, so I'll try again. Has anyone
    succeeded in compiling R3 with the Purdue 2.0 speedups on a Sun 4
    running 4.0 with any version of gcc?

    Ned Danieley (ndd@sunbar.mc.duke.edu)
    Basic Arrhythmia Laboratory
    Box 3140, Duke University Medical Center
    Durham, NC  27710
    (919) 684-6807 or 684-6942
--------

1.33 works fine.

	-- John

ndd@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Ned D. Danieley) (03/03/89)

In article <13678@duke.cs.duke.edu>, ndd@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Ned D. Danieley) writes:
> In article <13578@duke.cs.duke.edu>, ndd@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Ned D. Danieley) writes:
> > I just tried to compile X11R3 on a Sun 4/280 running SunOs 4.0, using
> > gcc 1.31. Several modules failed compilation with signal 11 or signal
> > 6 (lib/X/GetPRoot.c, server/dix/colormap.c, server/ddx/mi/milines.c,
> > etc.). I have applied patches 1 through 8, and the Purdue 2.0 speedups.
> > I didn't have any trouble on my 3/280 running 3.5.
> >
> > Has anyone else seen this? If so, how can I get around it? Is gcc 1.33
> > useful?
> >

> I haven't seen an answer to this yet, so I'll try again. Has anyone

Okay, I got several answers. It turns out that gcc 1.33 works just
fine, with the exception of oscolor.c and rgb. I suspect that these would
work, too, if I had applied the dbm fix suggested in the Purdue
speedup notes.

Thanks to all who replied.

ned

(count these lines)

paj@gatech.edu (P. Allen Jensen) (03/08/89)

In article <13578@duke.cs.duke.edu>, ndd@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Ned D. Danieley) writes:
> I just tried to compile X11R3 on a Sun 4/280 running SunOs 4.0, using
> gcc 1.31. Several modules failed compilation with signal 11 or signal
> 6 (lib/X/GetPRoot.c, server/dix/colormap.c, server/ddx/mi/milines.c,
> etc.). I have applied patches 1 through 8, and the Purdue 2.0 speedups.
> I didn't have any trouble on my 3/280 running 3.5.
>
> Has anyone else seen this? If so, how can I get around it? Is gcc 1.33
> useful?

I just compiled using the new sun optimizing compiler - cc -O3 - on a
sun-4/260.  It seems pretty fast.  I had the same gcc problem under
SunOS 4.0.1 and gcc 1.33.  I recompiled the routines that failed with
the signal 11 using the Sun C compiler with opt -O3 - everything seems
to be working OK so far.

P. Allen Jensen
--
P. Allen Jensen