[comp.windows.x] A simple question ...

lewin@savax.UUCP (Stuart Lewin) (11/18/88)

  ((line eater fodder))

Just to make sure I understand this, I'm looking for a ruling from
RWS, the "X Protocol Arbitrator" ...

The errors defined by the protocol spec are what are legal, and
would be returned by a "complete" server implementation. For
example, in lots of cases the DDX routines may return boolean
False if memory allocations fail, but the DIX layer in the
distributed sample server fails to check for them or generate
errors to the client. By reading the protocol spec and using
some common sense one should be able to determine what the
correct behavior is, right?

Thanks,
Stu

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (11/18/88)

    By reading the protocol spec and using
    some common sense one should be able to determine what the
    correct behavior is, right?

Right.  The R3 protocol document is (hopefully) clear on Alloc errors:

The server failed to allocate the requested resource.
Note that the explicit listing of
.PN Alloc
errors in request only covers allocation errors at a very coarse level
and is not intended to cover all cases
of a server running out of allocation space in the middle of service.
The semantics when a server runs out of allocation space are left unspecified,
but a server may generate an
.PN Alloc
error on any request for this reason,
and clients should be prepared to receive such errors and handle
or discard them.

po@volta.ece.utexas.edu (02/28/89)

I have a widget that has mapped_when_managed set to False when it was
created.  It is then mapped or unmapped using XtMapWidget or
XtUnmapWidget.
How can I tell whether the widget is in the mapped or unmapped state?

Thanks,
  Po

kit@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Chris D. Peterson) (03/01/89)

> I have a widget that has mapped_when_managed set to False when it was
> created.  It is then mapped or unmapped using XtMapWidget or
> XtUnmapWidget.
> How can I tell whether the widget is in the mapped or unmapped state?

It seems to me that since you are doing the mapping then you are the only
one (Other than the X server) who knows whether this window is mapped.  It
will probabally be fastest and most efficient for your application to remember
what state the window is in.

						Chris D. Peterson
						MIT X Consortium /
						Project Athena

Net:	kit@athena.mit.edu
Phone: (617) 253 - 1326
USMail: MIT - Room E40-321
	77 Massachusetts Ave.
	Cambridge, MA 02139

janssen@titan.sw.mcc.com (Bill Janssen) (03/08/89)

In article <8902281803.AA05579@DORA.MIT.EDU>, kit@ATHENA (Chris D. Peterson) writes:
>It will probabally be fastest and most efficient for your application to
>remember what state the window is in.

And if you're not running a window manager on the parent of your
window, it may even be correct.

Bill