[comp.windows.x] Announcing XWEBSTER version 1.10 -- A dictionary browser.

mayer@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Niels Mayer) (03/07/89)

	Xwebster is used to look up words in the online copy of Webster's
	7th dictionary, stored at SRI-NIC and also available on machines
	located at Boston U., Indiana U, Purdue U., MIT, Stanford, etc. In
	order to run xwebster you must have access to a webster server.

What's new:

	The old xwebster program (version 1.01) from the X11r3 contrib tape
	had some known problems when I released it, as documented in the
	xwebster.README file. In particular, xwebster(1.01) did not handle
	webster server disconnects gracefully.

	Fortunately, Mark Moraes <moraes@csri.toronto.edu> found a way to
	make it	handle server disconnects properly. So now, you can leave
	xwebster on your screen all the time. When you need to look up a
	word, xwebster will automatically reconnect you to one of the
	webster servers you have specified in ~/.Xdefaults

	Mark Moraes also fixed some stupid errors on my part that caused
	Xwebster to dump core when running under SunOS 3.5. I didn't notice
	these problems when testing Xwebster under HPUX 6.21.

	Moraes added a manpage, an Imake file, and converted Xwebster to
	work under the R3 Xtoolkit Intrinsics and the R3 HP Xwidgets (from
	X11r3/contrib/widgets/Xhp/Xw + Martin Friedmann's patch on
	expo.lcs.mit.edu:contrib/Xhp.patch.works.tar.Z). Now Xwebster
	should be a kosher X-Consortium program. I'm hoping the
	powers-that-be include it in the X11r4/clients/xwebster directory
	and include the HP Xwidgets in X11r4/lib/Xw.

	This release includes Moraes' enhancements, along with a few
	bugfixes that I made to Moraes' code, some improvements to Xwebster's
	robustness, more documentation, etc.

Where to get xwebster:

	I've put all the xwebster files on expo.lcs.mit.edu. They're in the
	contrib directory:

	-rw-rw-rw-  1 ftp          5959 Mar  6 21:52 xwebster.README
	-rw-rw-rw-  1 ftp         37916 Mar  6 22:45 xwebster.r3.patch.Z
	-rw-rw-rw-  1 ftp         42782 Mar  6 21:57 xwebster.tar.Z

	Xwebster.r3.patch.Z is a patch that can be applied to the original
	webster from the directory X11r3/contrib/clients/xwebster.

Where to get the webster server:

	I occasionally get mail on this, so I thought I'd answer now once
	and for all. The server itself is running at a number of
	universities and institutes. The code for the server is available
	from these universities as well. However, I don't think these
	universities are at liberty to give away the copyrighted dictionary
	data. If anybody can legally get their hands on the webster's
	dictionary data, I'd love to know how. I know that NeXT bought the
	data for their webster's dictionary application. I haven't
	contacted Merriam-Webster to find out if purchasing the data is
	possible. Let me know if you've got answers on this.

	    Niels Mayer -- hplabs!mayer -- mayer@hplabs.hp.com
		       Hewlett-Packard Laboratories
			      Palo Alto, CA.
				   *

mayer%hplnpm@HPLABS.HP.COM (Niels P. Mayer) (03/08/89)

> From: jim@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Jim Fulton)
> Last Friday, the gateway between comp.windows.x and xpert@expo.lcs.mit.edu
> appears to have broken.
> Until this gets tracked down, comp.windows.x readers are encouraged to *mail*
> their notes and replies to either of the following addresses:

Following Jim Fulton's advice, I'm enclosing my previous announcement to
comp.windows.x... see the latter half of this posting.

				----------

Also, I wanted to take this opportunity to STAMP OUT AN INTERIM VERSION OF
XWEBSTER (1.01) THAT IS FLOATING ABOUT. This happened because of the long
mail delays between xpert and comp.windows.x, as well as some
misunderstandings between myself, Mark Moraes, and the moderator of
comp.windows.x.

Here's the poop:

I didn't realize that Mark Moraes had "officially" announced the release of
a new xwebster when he told me in personal email of his new patches to
xwebster.

After poking around in his patched version, I noticed some things that I
wanted changed and set out to make a new version of xwebster for public
release: Xwebster Version 1.10 includes some trivial bugfixes to Moraes'
patches, as well as improved functionality and more robust error handling.

I placed Xwebster 1.10 on expo.lcs.mit.edu:contrib/xwebster.tar.Z, and
announced the existence of the new version of xwebster to comp.windows.x
and the comp.sources.x moderator (Mike Wexler):

	> From: mayer@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Niels Mayer)
	> Newsgroups: comp.windows.x
	> Subject: Announcing XWEBSTER version 1.10 -- A dictionary browser.
	> Date: 7 Mar 89 04:41:19 GMT

Then, just today, much to my surprise, I read postings in comp.sources.x
and comp.windows.x indicating that the old version of xwebster (1.01) had
been announced and released:

	> Article 8241 in comp.windows.x:
	> From: moraes@CSRI.TORONTO.EDU (Mark Moraes)
	> Subject: xwebster fixes for R3
	> Date: 1 Mar 89 07:47:23 GMT

	> Article 217 in comp.sources.x:
	> From: mikew@wyse.wyse.com (Mike Wexler)
	> Subject: v03i034:  Webster client, Part01/02
	> Date: 7 Mar 89 18:06:59 GMT

Unfortunately, I did not submit xweb parts 01 and 02, rather, these were
the shar files that Moraes had previously sent to Mike Wexler.

	> Submitted-by: mayer@hplabs.hp.com (Niels P. Mayer)
	> Posting-number: Volume 3, Issue 34
	> Archive-name: xweb/part01
	> Xchar xwebster_version[] = "Xwebster, version 1.01";
				      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I guess Wexler assumed that Moraes' shar file was the same as my latest
version, or that he hadn't yet received my mail of 3/6/89 when he posted
xweb/part0{1,2} to comp.sources.x.

These "interim" versions of xwebster are still labelled as "VERSION 1.01"
PLEASE IGNORE AND DO NOT PROPOGATE THAT VERSION OF XWEBSTER!!
THE CURRENT VERSION OF XWEBSTER IS 1.10.

Hopefully, this confusion will get straightened out soon.....

				----------

Ok enough versionitis, here's the original announcement:
Newsgroups: comp.windows.x
Subject: Announcing XWEBSTER version 1.10 -- A dictionary browser.
Date: 7 Mar 89 04:41:19 GMT

[...]

mayer@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Niels Mayer) (03/08/89)

I noticed that an interim version of xwebster version 1.01 has gone out on
comp.sources.x. PLEASE IGNORE THAT VERSION. The latest version of Xwebster
is 1.10, and is available from expo.lcs.mit.edu:contrib/xwebster.tar.Z, as
mentioned in my announcement on comp.windows.x. I've sent the shar files to
that version to Mike Wexler, in the hope that he will post it to
comp.sources.x.

Here's mail I sent to xpert@expo, that sort of explains how all this
confusion arose. I'm posting it to comp.windows.x since the
xpert<-->comp.windows.x gateway seems to be broken:

To: xpert@expo.lcs.mit.edu
Cc: mikew@wyse.wyse.com, Mark Moraes <moraes@csri.toronto.edu>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 89 15:49:20 PST
From: Niels P. Mayer <mayer@hplnpm>

> [...]

Unfortunately, I did not submit xweb parts 01 and 02, rather, these were
the shar files that Moraes had previously sent to Mike Wexler.

	> Submitted-by: mayer@hplabs.hp.com (Niels P. Mayer)
	> Posting-number: Volume 3, Issue 34
	> Archive-name: xweb/part01
	> Xchar xwebster_version[] = "Xwebster, version 1.01";
				      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I guess Wexler assumed that Moraes' shar file was the same as my latest
version, or that he hadn't yet received my mail of 3/6/89 when he posted
xweb/part0{1,2} to comp.sources.x.

These "interim" versions of xwebster are still labelled as "VERSION 1.01"
PLEASE IGNORE AND DO NOT PROPOGATE THAT VERSION OF XWEBSTER!!
THE CURRENT VERSION OF XWEBSTER IS 1.10.

Hopefully, this confusion will get straightened out soon.....

Ok enough versionitis, here's the original announcement:

[deleted, since you comp.windows.x people have seen it]