[net.news] Resigned

perelgut@utcsrgv.UUCP (Stephen Perelgut) (08/22/83)

I surrender!  You cannot stop idiots from posting anything they want to
net.general.  All you can do is inform any offenders and hope that one or
two of them were previously mis-informed.  However, chances are much greater
(running about 62%) that you will get a very obnoxious flame returned.
Here is the last list of people who posted articles to net.general that
obviously didn't belong there.  The list covers only 6 days' news and is
not complete (I'm sure).

By the way, I am resisting the strong temptation to post this to net.general
as a petulant gesture.  I never wanted to police the net, and I am not going
to do that.  I only hope that the net will survive the sudden surge in misuse
that is always intendant on September and the influx of new students at the
university sites on the net.
Newsgroups: net.general
Subject: On-line Seminars

Newsgroups: net.general
Subject: Non-Pressured Group for Jewish Singles in Highland Park

Newsgroups: net.general, net.misc
Subject: moving
RealName: Louis DiPalma

Newsgroups: net.general
Subject: tset for C - 64

Newsgroups: net.general
Subject: laywers as the ultimate crooks

Newsgroups: net.unix-wizards,net.general,net.wanted,net.unix
Subject: UNIX for IBM Request
RealName: Steve Lund

Newsgroups: net.general
Subject: emacs vs. vi
RealName: Curt Stephens

--
Stephen Perelgut    Computer Systems Research Group    University of Toronto
	   { linus, ihnp4, allegra, floyd }!utcsrgv!perelgut

rcj@burl.UUCP (08/24/83)

Any thoughts on which would be easier to prevent/cut-down-on --
original articles posted to the improper newsgroup, or the
47 followup articles that don't belong there either.  I admit
that the original "emacs-vs.-vi articles in net.general" are
the real culprits here, but maybe it would be more effective to
try and stop the torrent of followups rather than the original
articles themselves.  Maybe an argument to the 'f' option in readnews
that would indicate the group in which the followupper would like his
followup to appear?
--

The MAD Programmer -- 919-228-3814 (Cornet 291)
alias: Curtis Jackson	...![ floyd sb1 mhuxv ]!burl!rcj